• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I thought it woud be easy.......

Moparfiend

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:42 AM
Reaction score
But the more I dig into this new purchase the more I am finding I need to do. I guess thats par for the coarse with these old beasts.

Anyway the 318 has more miles than I though. A lot more. The title said 99K and the ticker said 14K so it must have 114K. The motor looks it too. So I went to change out the coolant hoses and the water heater line was hanging off the intake manifold. The whole integrated nipple was rusted and was broken off. Now I have a hole in the manifold. Other than a new manifold what are my options?

Lots of options. If you cant determine where the edge of the nipple is or was, then machine shop should be able to drill it out and rethread for a new nipple. If you can determine where it is, then some rust dissolver may work if you can find a basin big enough to submerge that part of the manifold into or perhaps soaking in pb blaster and using a large extractor may work.

I would think someone nearby would have a used 318 manifold for cheap or free. They made a bunch of em...

LOL- this bolt/nut comes right out and this one snaps off. Name of the game for 40+ yr old metal. Keep grinning, cussing & coffee/alcohol!

Well it looks like the manifold is coming out either way. I wounder if I can pull the manifold out without removing the AC.......anyone tried this?

I think that your screen name was accidently misspelled.

Heater hose nipple? You are going to need a drill and a 3/8 NPT tap. It can be done on the car as it will most likely need to be flushed anyway.

Kerndog thanks it was available...
threewood good idea I might just do that before I invest in a new 4 barrel and manifold upgrade as there are probably more surprises for me awaiting this effort....I just will need to remove the manifold and get a new gasket and RTV. Cheap enough to see if she will fire up.

Get a big left handed drill bit or an easy out to try first.

Leave the intake on.

There's worse junk in the bottom of the water jackets than a small bit of drilled iron.

Around here you an find performer intakes for $60-75 at swap meets.

600 cfm carbs can be had for about the same on a good day.

Get a jig saw blade. Rig up a handle. An air saw works quicker. Saw 2 slots inside the old fitting aprox 180 degrees apart. Take a chisel and tap on the remaining edge of the fitting to move each half inward. Run a pipe tap in a turn or so to clean up the threads.
Doug

Agree. I use that on PVC sprinkler lines.

I bit tougher on metal, but still valid.

Nicking the threads is OK, but you don't want to cut too deeply into them.

Chase with proper tap.

I would just take this as God's way of saying you need to go find a good deal on a used aftermarket intake manifold and enjoy life more. :)

Great advice guys! Thanks!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back