• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I was telling someone this story about Audioslave, I'll repeat here.

SteveSS

Local time
1:01 PM
Reaction score
I'm sure most know this story. I was telling it to a Gen Z kid.

It's an old song called, "Show Me How To Live" by Audioslave. It's a great-sounding song but here's the story. It's blended with a car chase movie called Vanishing Point. They've added the band members to the car chase scenes. VP became an instant classic and still is 53 years later. I saw it as a kid when it came out at drive-ins across America in 1971. I told myself I would have a Challenger one day. Of course, we do have one complete with the pistol grip 4-speed. We even have to same Colorado front license plate.

The movie ends with the hero Kowlaksi, who had been chased across the country by law enforcement, driving his Challenger into the blades of the twin caterpillars. The song is mostly dealing with Chris Cornell's mental anguish asking his creator, "You gave me life, now show me how to live." Of course, on May 18th, 2017 Cornell was found dead in his hotel room. I guess he didn't find the answers.

I refuse to give him, Kobain, or Chester Pennington (Lincoln Park) any accolades. Suicide is single most selfish thing a person can do.

Last edited:
I totally agree about the selfishness of suicide. It hurts so many people while the person gets to bail out. My little brother called this week and said his next-door neighbor shot himself in his backyard. Now my brother's place of solace and enjoyment has become a place of sadness.

Well, you have to consider that anyone who would commit suicide is mentally ill to some extent.

Isn’t it just as selfish for you to demand a person live in pain and suffering to satisfy your desire for their company?
Just food for thought.

Nope. It doesn’t bother me one bit if someone offs themselves. They’re pussies for taking the easy way out. Instead of confronting their problems, they run from them. Guess you could say, it’s Mother Nature’s way of thinning the herd.

Yeah, I recently had a change of attitude about suicide.

My 63 year old cousin had been battling tongue cancer for several years.

He was a very outgoing person. Life of the party, always telling jokes, etc.

That part of him was being taken away.

He was dealing with a decision to have his entire tongue removed, and still only a 50/50 "survival chance".

He decided to NOT put his family through seeing his very essence taken away and having them watch helplessly as he slipped further and painfully further from them. Suffering.

I get that. That is one terrible, terrible decision to make.

His last words were- "The pain is too much" via text.

I don't begrudge his decision one bit.

Audio Slave , damn good band.
Suicide..... many folks have hard *** things to deal with, some dont have a way out or a way to deal with their ghosts or problems. May they rest in peace.

Walk with your child down this road a ways before you earn the self righteousness to mouth off in here. Grateful to God that we walked through it together and it didn't end.

You never know what that person is going through. Sad if they take their life.

Walk with your child down this road a ways before you earn the self righteousness to mouth off in here. Grateful to God that we walked through it together and it didn't end.
Amen furious70

And whom is mouthing off?

I'm letting this one go, I'm better than that..............

Suicide is a selfish cop-out.

I was in a major accident in 2008, including multiple head injuries. I'm fully functional and now - 15 years later - only have moderate memory issues (on the mental side - I have a plethora of physical pain issues, but that isn't the subject here).

At the time, though? It was a VERY different story.

I spent 2 weeks in shock-trauma, heavily medicated, followed by four months in a rehab hospital learning to walk again, in the brain injury ward where out of 27 beds, I was the only one who could talk.

In the ambulance from shock trauma to the rehab hospital, my brain started recording again - and the first conscious thought I remember wasn't "where am I" or "what's going on", but..."who the hell is this inside my head?". I didn't know what was going on, but I knew something inside my brain was wrong. Immediately. I had (among other things) frontal lobe damage and swelling and bleeding. This is the part of the brain primarily responsible for personality and impulse control.

The person I had been for 35 years, died in a ditch on July 16, 2008. He is gone. He will never return.

I had no filter. If it went across my brain, it came out my mouth. I was angry. I was confused. I screamed at the nurses one night because they would not shut the **** up in the hallways, cackling and laughing, at three in the morning. My roommate - who could not talk and was thought to be "vegetative" by the staff (similar to many others in the ward), squealed and flopped around a little and tried to smile when I did it. These morons were keeping EVERYONE awake, and figured it was OK because nobody had complained. In the ******* brain injury ward. The chief of nursing talked to me the next day, chastising me that "you can't yell at the staff". I explained what happened...she saw that I was competent, angry, and mentioning lawyers...and I never saw those three nurses again.

I spent years (years!) in therapy learning to cope with the new person who was inhabiting my brain. My brain had changed, which meant **I** had changed - and not by choice, and not gradually. Blink of an eye, and I had to cope with it. Day, night, awake, asleep, sober, drunk, whatever - everything was different.

Everything.

There was NO escape.

For me, anyway. My now-ex-wife? She bailed. Because she could. I wasn't who she married, and instead of helping me(us) work through it, she bailed. Fine. I was already angry beyond belief anyway.

The only possible way for me to escape? Was suicide. I could draw you a photo-quality picture of every scratch and nick on the muzzle of my .38 revolver, as much time as I spent staring at it. Debating. Crying. Praying. And ultimately...deciding.

In the end, all I had was my parents, and my dogs...and I couldn't do that to them. Through that love - and the aforementioned years of therapy - I have managed to fight my way back and am now 15 years old (in a 50 year old body). It was a major uphill battle. It was hard as ****. I spent more money and time at the bottom of a whisky bottle (and beer cases, and a margarita glass...) than any human should. What saved me in the end? Prayer, love, determination, therapy, arrogance...and a LOT of hard work. Over the last 15 years, I have come up with one analogy for what I have lived through. If you have ever known identical twins, you'll understand this (and if you don't, well...the only way to understand it is to get bashed in the head until your brain bleeds, and go through it yourself). I became my own twin. Looks the same. Sounds the same. But just like identical twins, the more you get to know them; the closer you get; the more you realize....they're different. One is more outgoing; one more quiet. One more rebellious; one more restrained. Subtle differences...but they're there, and they're fundamental to who they are. I had changed into someone completely different, and there wasn't a goddamned thing I could do about it.

Nobody should have to go that alone.

We NEVER should have dismantled our network of "asylums" - mental health hospitals. Medication does NOT take the place of love and God and nurturing and supervision and guidance - and medication is all we have in today's world, a pill for this or a shot for that, and go your merry way in society whether you are a danger to yourself and others, or not.

Mental health care is DESPERATELY needed again in society. We need to erase the "stigma", and focus on care. Period. That step would solve SO many of society's problems right now. Suicide. "Gun violence". Abusive relationships. ALL of these could be mitigated or eliminated completely, through proper care, guidance, and education.

And yes, I have ZERO sympathy for a suicide. It is the coward's way out, and the only people it punishes are the people who love(d) the person who took their own life. I don't care if you kill yourself, or commit "suicide by cop" and try to take other innocent people with you - you are a coward. Period. If you try to take others with you, you are a pathetic coward.

If there is help available (and there always is), you have to do the work, but you can beat it. Or at least - as in my case - learn to live with it without too much daily struggle and pain. If you choose not to do the work, not to get help, not to make an effort...you are a coward. You're making excuses. You're playing the "victim". You're hurting those who love you. "Help" doesn't have to be "professionals", either - a FAMILY can help. Love. A support network. Church. God. All of the things being demonized today...can HELP.

And no, you will not change my mind.

If I can beat it, anyone can. But....you have to do the work. And in order to do that, you have to know what work to do - and that is where proper care and guidance (and God, and love, and family) come in.

Clear that you've gone through more than anyone should ever have to and are a real life, dents and bruises included, inspiration. Glad you had the fight in you and God and family with you.
Not looking to change your mind. I agree with most of what you said, including the pain they leave behind. But, not being in their shoes I'll never call them a coward. Your unique shoes may allow you different latitude.

Clear that you've gone through more than anyone should ever have to and are a real life, dents and bruises included, inspiration. Glad you had the fight in you and God and family with you.
Not looking to change your mind. I agree with most of what you said, including the pain they leave behind. But, not being in their shoes I'll never call them a coward. Your unique shoes may allow you different latitude.
Your a good man and he has no ******* idea what he's talking about. There is a suicide every 11 minutes in this country and getting worse EVERYDAY. That's just their opinion with no science to back it up or they would know weakness, cowardice, pussies and selfishness is not a form of science for a serious nationwide problem. They should read on the subject on a professional and scientific level before giving a third graders opinion. I wasn't going to responded, but I guess we can all leave an opinion on the subject. They did, now I did with at least a little science behind my conclusion.

I'll not lie, when I came to after the tumor was removed from my back the surgeon came in and said, I'm sorry Roger I did everything I could you will no longer be able to walk again. In time you will also become incontinent. I thought briefly that there was no way I'm going to live this way. The next day my last grandchild was born. I immediately thought of my wife. All of this going on and she couldn't get to either of us as this was in August 2020. I had a choice to make die or fight to get back to some kind of normal. It took me almost a year to get back on my feet and walk with enough confidence to go on my own. I'm glad I didn't make a different choice.

Auto Transport Service
Back