• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I wonder if our bird is rare with this combo.

ViperDave

Local time
4:45 PM
Reaction score
Our bird is Petty blue (999) with the standard 440-4. It is a 4 speed car with white bucket seats and has the trac pack. I have seen one on line but it didn't have the track pack. It has 35k miles and we are doing a 100 point restoration on it right now.

Let me see how you post pics in the forum and I will post them. If I have Photobucket what numbers do I use.

If you upload them to photobucket you can post the links here. It's pretty easy.

Welcome aboard.

ViperDave: your post says "bird" but your profile says 71 Charger. Huh?

If you got a Road Runner, and it's a 999 code, that would be a 1968. And 1968 RRs weren't available with 440s. Huh?

So I'm guessing you have a 69 or 70, the code is 99 99, and it's rare. Right? Petty Blue, yes, rare. I know of 4 for 68, 1 for 69, and 1 for 70 (confirmed by tag and sheet with 999 or 99 99 Petty Blue). I'm sure my lists are not complete, so it's always great to confirm the rare-est of the rare.

I'd love to see the fender tag and share info I have with you. Send a PM and post them pics (still hungover from the 4th?:sleepy2:)

Welcome aboard.

If you got a Road Runner, and it's a 999 code, that would be a 1968. And 1968 RRs weren't available with 440s. Huh?

So I'm guessing you have a 69 or 70, the code is 99 99, and it's rare. Right? Petty Blue, yes, rare. I know of 4 for 68, 1 for 69, and 1 for 70 (confirmed by tag and sheet with 999 or 99 99 Petty Blue). I'm sure my lists are not complete, so it's always great to confirm the rare-est of the rare.

I'd love to see the fender tag and share info I have with you. Send a PM and post them pics (still hungover from the 4th?:sleepy2:)

In one of his other posts, he says he has a Petty Blue Superbird (which the standard was the 440/4). So there is no guessing required.

SuperBird

Welcome aboard.

I saw that this was a Daytona-Superbird section so I thought everybody would know it is a Superbird. Sorry for the confusion.
I have pics of the car and the VIN tag. I have them on Photobucket but I haven't tried to post pics yet. Which codes do I use. The one that starts with HTTP, <a href, or the one with {IMG}. Also I use my Charger pic as my avatar since I have had it for 40 years. I ordered it new from Vietnam and loaded it up with options since I planed on keeping it forever. I'm working on it and will pass it on to my sons when I am gone.

I saw that this was a Daytona-Superbird section so I thought everybody would know it is a Superbird. Sorry for the confusion.
I have pics of the car and the VIN tag. I have them on Photobucket but I haven't tried to post pics yet. Which codes do I use. The one that starts with HTTP, <a href, or the one with {IMG}. Also I use my Charger pic as my avatar since I have had it for 40 years. I ordered it new from Vietnam and loaded it up with options since I planed on keeping it forever. I'm working on it and will pass it on to my sons when I am gone.

you can just clink on the line that says img code below you pic and it should automatically copy it for you - its the

I love the Kelly American Aspen/Volare.
Is that Frank Herchick's car?
My boss ran the series along with Tommy Riggins in 85 thru 87.

Regal at Columbus 1985
721985Columbus.jpg

Somerset at Sebring 1987. Car has been restored and is now being raced in a vintage series and kicking butt.

MrShafersSomerset12Sebring1987.jpg

Last edited:
After checking, I found the Aspen was run by Jerry Makara.
The car looks basically un-touched in your picture.
Mid-Ohio in 1982 where he came in 8th place.

8ASPENJerryMakara82Mid-Ohio.jpg

1983 Mid-Ohio

8AspenJerryMakara83Mid-Ohio.jpg

Here is the VIN tag.
10066.jpg

Dave: more pics! Please! Love your Bird.

Yes, I say it's as rare as it gets. Based on my info it's only the second 1970 999 code Petty Blue car. Unless somebody can prove that the tag is a fake, or that the Bird was repainted, I think you have a Holy Grail in your hands.

I have seen my share of Lynch Road tags, and that one is absolutely real. Look for the inverse stamping on top right.

Cool Car!!!

That's a sweet looking bird! I'd love to see it caged, slammed on drag radials with an F-3 procharged hemi under the hood!

Auto Transport Service
Back