• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IBM Card Assistance

SnowMonkVX

Local time
4:06 PM
Reaction score
So I've been recently deciphering the IBM card I received from the Historical Archives in an attempt to determine what is true OEM on my '67 Charger Project, and what has been modified or spliced / hacked in over the past 55 years. So far I'm pretty confident with my progress, but I do have a few questions so I'm reaching out for help. Attached is a blank copy I've been referencing, and then my original received card and the one I've been scribbling on.

My first question where I might find the engine info, or how that is decoded. I know the car is a 383 2brl factory, but the IBM card gives me a '6' in column 37, and a '1' in 38.

Second, not at all important, but tires? Where might decoding info for that be found? Mine is ID'd '43'.

Third, and most importantly is the card shows my car as a roof stripe option if I'm understanding it, column 61, marked 'R' '3', = a C? The dual marks equaling a letter / number still confuses me. More interesting, is my '67 has a vinyl top, with all the trim and fixings, but there are no marks in column 60, where it's marked for a roof option.

There are many items on the car which I am now believing to be added, but there isn't a way to find dealer installed bits is there? Lwr Dash vanity light, bumper guards, console clock, power windows, seat back trim inserts, variable speed wipers, glove box light, ect. Many things....

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

IBM blank 2.jpg

Original.png

PXL_20230524_161303089.jpg

PXL_20220830_234413407.jpg

PXL_20220830_234425947.jpg

Last edited:
Does it have a fender tag? Easy to decode

i don’t have any info or help to decode IBM card.

no way to know what anybody added to the car. Unless the holes were made with a punch or chisel.

Last edited:
61 is the code for 383-2 , and 43 is the code for 7.75 X14 white wall tires. If there are no punch marks under the 60 then it didn't come with a vinyl top from the factory, unless a mistake was made. Can you tell what colour the stripe was?

I'm an idiot. Of course you can't see the roof stripe, it has a vinyl top on it. That is more evidence that it didn't come with a vinyl top.

Well that's kind of neat.
I believe it was added, because 67 Chargers didn't have the vinyl going down the A pillars.

I had the IBM cards more or less figured out many years ago, but the mind fades. I think I have it now. If there are two punches in the same vertical column, top to bottom, then it is a letter. The bottom punch signifies which letter and the top punch the rotation out of three. I believe they use 1 through 8 for the first two rotations excluding the I and 1 through 9 for the third.iThe top punch would be in either the R, X, or 0 position The R position would be the first run through the letters, the X the second, and 0 would be the third. You have lots of known letters on your card (VIN etc.). Play with yours and see if it fits.

Does it have a fender tag? Easy to decode

i don’t have any info or help to decode IBM card.

no way to know what anybody added to the car. Unless the holes were made with a punch or chisel.
Unfortunately I have no fender tag, and maybe a 1/3 of the build sheet, and whats left of the 1/3 sheet was mouse food, almost no information can be deprived from it. The car was last registered in '87, is not the original motor, nor trans, nor third member. When I picked it up there was a ton of hacked wiring from a clear overcharge scenario, and I'm currently not even sure it ever ran with the engine / trans combo it has now. It clearly had a repaint at some-point, as the right side is white, with some patches, and the left side is spray can primer. Current evidence suggests it blew a motor / wiring, then someone was attempting to put it back together and time took hold to where it was left.....

61 is the code for 383-2 , and 43 is the code for 7.75 X14 white wall tires. If there are no punch marks under the 60 then it didn't come with a vinyl top from the factory, unless a mistake was made. Can you tell what colour the stripe was?
Right on, may I ask if there is a site or cheat sheet you are using to dephiper those codes?

Well that's kind of neat.
I believe it was added, because 67 Chargers didn't have the vinyl going down the A pillars.
Oh really, no A pillar coverings huh? I'll have to check that out. As I've said, there are many things added to it, some are installed really nicely, others I can clearly tell are not (Console clock is a '66 style with Electro style lighting instead of bulbs, Bumper guard spacing is not factory) The Vinyl roof is an odd thing to add, but I suppose it makes sense as for a 'barn find' style car the vinyl is in really good shape, with only very minor bubbling in a few spots. It also really looks to be a faded blue, and not black. I've added a picture from this weekend when I was tuning the rebuilt '72 318 that is in it now. I'll check inside the trunk to see how the holes for the belt trim looks, if there is any signs of custom work or missed holes.

I had the IBM cards more or less figured out many years ago, but the mind fades. I think I have it now. If there are two punches in the same vertical column, top to bottom, then it is a letter. The bottom punch signifies which letter and the top punch the rotation out of three. I believe they use 1 through 8 for the first two rotations excluding the I and 1 through 9 for the third.iThe top punch would be in either the R, X, or 0 position The R position would be the first run through the letters, the X the second, and 0 would be the third. You have lots of known letters on your card (VIN etc.). Play with yours and see if it fits.
So-
A B C D E F G H - J K L M N O P Q - R S T U V W X Y Z
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 - 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 '10'?

Thank you all ton for any input. I'll be finishing tunning the current 318 that is in it, (fresh total rebuild) and hopefully going for a true maiden voyage (something over 10 mph and longer then 2 miles) this weekend with the 'ol Charger. Might be it's first real drive in ~30 years.

I'll mess around with it tomorrow morning and see if any of that lines up.

PXL_20220419_193013722.jpg

That is the way I think the letters and numbers should line up, except the last row of numbers you listed should be 1 through 9, same as the first two. Galen Govier's white books are where I get the codes from.

So I've been recently deciphering the IBM card I received from the Historical Archives in an attempt to determine what is true OEM on my '67 Charger Project, and what has been modified or spliced / hacked in over the past 55 years. So far I'm pretty confident with my progress, but I do have a few questions so I'm reaching out for help. Attached is a blank copy I've been referencing, and then my original received card and the one I've been scribbling on.

My first question where I might find the engine info, or how that is decoded. I know the car is a 383 2brl factory, but the IBM card gives me a '6' in column 37, and a '1' in 38.

Second, not at all important, but tires? Where might decoding info for that be found? Mine is ID'd '43'.

Third, and most importantly is the card shows my car as a roof stripe option if I'm understanding it, column 61, marked 'R' '3', = a C? The dual marks equaling a letter / number still confuses me. More interesting, is my '67 has a vinyl top, with all the trim and fixings, but there are no marks in column 60, where it's marked for a roof option.

There are many items on the car which I am now believing to be added, but there isn't a way to find dealer installed bits is there? Lwr Dash vanity light, bumper guards, console clock, power windows, seat back trim inserts, variable speed wipers, glove box light, ect. Many things....

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

View attachment 1470097

View attachment 1470098

View attachment 1470099

View attachment 1470105

View attachment 1470106

I think your vinyl top was dealer installed after the buyer received the car or at a later date. Especially if you had the pinstripe code and you don't see the pinstripes, as RT Boy 67 mentioned above. I had my IBM card decoded by a Forum Member a couple ofyears ago. I will try to find that Forum member and send to you. Maybe he can help.

I think your vinyl top was dealer installed after the buyer received the car or at a later date. Especially if you had the pinstripe code and you don't see the pinstripes, as RT Boy 67 mentioned above. I had my IBM card decoded by a Forum Member a couple ofyears ago. I will try to find that Forum member and send to you. Maybe he can help.
The sail panel trim is correct for a 67. The dealer installed trim in 66 swept upward towards the lower back window molding, any 66’s with vinyl roofs that I have seen, the full length of the a pillar had vinyl.
[email protected] has decoded many 66-67’s. Might have 1000 Chargers registered.

My 67 Charger had a dealer installed vinyl top and it swept upward toward the lower back window molding as 440 4 speed stated above. I actually have the trim pieces for the rear of the vinyl top. When I bought my car the Seller had removed the vinyl top because he wanted to bring back to its original stature. I agree, I prefer no vinyl top. I have attached a photo of my car on the day I purchased it (2020) , you can see the outline of the vinyl top that comes up to the rear window and a photo with the vinyl top in 2003.

1967 Charger Hemi.jpeg

Charger sale day 2003.jpg

I am away from my car at the moment, but I'll grab some close up pictures of the vinyl top and the moldings as well as from inside the trunk in the next few days. I'll include my IBM card and such as applicable, though I'm rather confident in what the car was originally at this point, vs how far from that it is now.

Please pardon the messy IBM card, its the best pic I have after I scribbled on it decoding. Here is a few pics of the Vinyl top as it stands currently. Not having much background info on the car in it's history, in my opinion it's held up really well given it's age, but I wouldn't decline the idea it was a dealer add on at some point. The trim is nice, and while I've yet to get close to another 1st gen with a top, the trim appears to be installed correctly and with OEM stuff. I'm open to opinion, but it defiantly seems to be a 'Blue' vinyl oposed to faded black, which if I recall was not a factory available option. It does have some bubbling, and as we all know that cancer can only be stopped on way, however as this is a 'Ratty Revival' (prior to this year, last registered 04/'86), repairing that is pretty low on my list of priorities.

PXL_20230923_230729542.jpg

PXL_20230923_230735867.jpg

PXL_20230923_230742269.jpg

PXL_20230923_230750794.jpg

PXL_20230923_230829935.jpg

PXL_20230524_161303089.jpg

PXL_20220419_193013722.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back