• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Icon tools....

Ironbuilt

Local time
4:34 AM
Reaction score
What do the FBBO members think about the new ICON line of tools from Harbor Freight?

Pawn shops and flea markets good place to get older stuff thsts actually better than the Chitools.

If you need tools buy used snap on or old craftsman. Giving money to china still is bad for us.
My entire collection is Snap-On, Mac and Matco, with a few odd USA made tools. I am looking for the hobby guy that buys tools that don't come on a truck. What is his opinion.

Hobby guy here....When it comes to sockets, ratchets and wrenches....I have a variety of snap on, craftsman and Kobalt...Mainly SO and craftsman and few Kobalt.....I wouldn't consider HF on those areas......

Hows that for his opinion....lol

Still not answering the question, "What do you think about the Icon line?". I know that a lot of our members shop Harbor Freight.

Agree, hobby guy too here the old craftsman are the best for me , is a must a good ratchet and a good torque meter, and a good set of impact sockets if you need it, we all know how to use our tools properly, a decent set of sockets will do most of the jobs, always amuse me how people brake a ratchet trying to over tight a bolt or remove a tire.
And this is a icon tool the older the better.
images (20).jpeg

Still not answering the question, "What do you think about the Icon line?". I know that a lot of our members shop Harbor Freight.
Maybe you should re read my post Paul......"I wouldn't consider" So hard to rate since I wouldn't consider buying it........

Based on looks alone they look cheap....A true test would be to try one out....

Looks cool, here I buy a local brand of tools, urrea or trupper or I like to the local flea markets and look for used tools sometimes I found gold in there ( at least for me).

You name it I've got a piece of it either at home or at the shop. But you gotta understand even certain snap-on pieces are made in far away lands.

I only use Harbor freight for some cheap consumables
the rest is mostly cheap crap!

Chinese steel is low quality
so I think they will be garbage when they stretch out when I'm
working on something stubborn and rusty.
a waste of money for my use , not worth a gamble
I would shop for a used vintage set first if I was out to save a buck
a homeowner who does little work around the house might get by with them..

I only use Harbor freight for some cheap consumables
the rest is mostly cheap crap!

Chinese steel is low quality
so I think they will be garbage when they stretch out when I'm
working on something stubborn and rusty.
a waste of money for my use , not worth a gamble
I would shop for a used vintage set first if I was out to save a buck
a homeowner who does little work around the house might get by with them..
Put me down as "ditto"...

Is ICON just renamed Pittsburg? I have always had Craftsman for over 50 years. But the last few times I went to our Sears (now closed), the Craftsman stuff seemed junky. I ended up buying a couple of HF wrench sets. They had more wrenches for less money, and "looked" better than the Craftsman. I keep my Craftsman stuff in the garage, but have outfitted several toolboxes with HF stuff to keep in vehicles for emergency use. As far as ICON, I have not had any experience yet, but they just look like renamed Pittsburg with a higher price from what I saw.

UPDATE! My Bad, I made an incorrect statement. I was thinking of the new "Quinn" line of HF tools. That is the line I was comparing to Pittsburg. I have not looked at the Icon line....
But, I can't help but wonder why HF is adding another extra line to make things more confusing.

Last edited:
Do they sell just one wrench or do you have to buy a set? If you have to, buy the set and then test one. If I needed some tools, I might buy a set and test one. Right now I need to torque the axles on my diesel and they are supposed to be 90 ft lbs. That would/should test out a 9/16ths wrench. Figure torque by the length of the wrench and my weight. Heck, just put a bolt in a vice and put the wrench on and hit it with a dead blow. If it doesn't bend, break or round out, it's good :D

I only started the conversation because there are review videos all over YouTube and they seem to get good responses. I personally don't need anymore tools as I already have doubles and triples of everything that I would ever need.

I only started the conversation because there are review videos all over YouTube and they seem to get good responses. I personally don't need anymore tools as I already have doubles and triples of everything that I would ever need.
Had a lot of triplets too so I started selling them some years back. Around here, going to a flea market or advertising on CL didn't get hardly any results so I advertised them here. Didn't bring anymore money because of shipping but at least most people here appreciate the older Craftsman and other name brand tools. No offense to anyone south of the border but the ones living around me all want something for nothing. Only ONE time in many years did someone Hispanic pay me what I was asking for it and he was happy to get that item!

Auto Transport Service
Back