• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ID 440 pad info

steve817

Local time
3:57 PM
Reaction score
Hello, Has anyone seen a 440 pad to have an S stamped in front of the 440? I know that the letters represent the dates....D is for 1968, F is for 1970, so on so forth. This 440 clearly has an S right in front of the 440 . Any info would be great.

Hello, Has anyone seen a 440 pad to have an S stamped in front of the 440? I know that the letters represent the dates....D is for 1968, F is for 1970, so on so forth. This 440 clearly has an S right in front of the 440 . Any info would be great.
I was just looking at a pad this evening that had a S on the pad before the 440 it also had a Maltese style cross on the pad, which I had never saw before. This engine was painted blue and was most likely and RV engine, I may be looking at these engines again Saturday, to get a closer look at them, maybe we can discus it further, I only glanced at them, all were either Industrial or RV engines

From what I know the S means a service or special engine (warranty engine )
The Maltese cross means crankshaft is .001" undersized

An "S" could mean either Special Engine, or year designation 1962.

Casting numbers on the block will help determine the correct way to read this.

An "S" could mean either Special Engine, or year designation 1962.

Casting numbers on the block will help determine the correct way to read this.

Now you know there was no 440 in 1962 !!:D

As stated above the s is for special engine and Maltese cross means undersized crank, I have one of these blocks sitting in my garage

S = warranty or over-the-counter replacement block

It should also have a "WT" or "TW" then as well. May or may not have a VIN stamped. May or may not have a rivet hole/tag near the drivers "freeze" plug.

stamp.jpg

True enough....but never say never with Chrysler. :lol:
There are lots of things that Chrysler didn't build, and there are threads here to prove that. :rolleyes:

I can say never to that one !!!!:rofl:

Auto Transport Service
Back