• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ideal open car hauler length

hunt2elk

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:45 PM
Reaction score
I am going to purchase a new open car hauler soon and would like recommendations from you guys as to what length you are running. I kind of want a 18' for ease of getting around, and I believe it is long enough for any car I want to haul. Leaning toward a Road Warrior with the 2' dovetail bed.

Pending where and if you want to mount a winch, that would be minimum length I'd want for a B body. B Body's are just over 17' long and a Super Bird is 18' 8".

I picked up a new trailer last year. 18' dove tail Big Tex. Used it again today, great trailer and plenty of room for the R/T.

2018_Sundowner_ULTRA_Aluminum_Open_Car_Hauler_Trailer_22_Tapered_Front_UaqXc8_overlay_1520861967.jpg

Get E-tracks put down on the bed & use wheel tie down straps.

http://www.trailerworld.com/2018-su...-hauler-trailer-22-tapered-front-u3cg|Yl.html

I am going to purchase a new open car hauler soon and would like recommendations from you guys as to what length you are running. I kind of want a 18' for ease of getting around, and I believe it is long enough for any car I want to haul. Leaning toward a Road Warrior with the 2' dovetail bed.

Upgrade to 16" tires and wheels and minimun of 5000lb. axles

I agree on the 18'. Actually, the shorter the trailer, the harder they are to back up and mess with. For me, the worst were horse trailers. Short, heavy, and with 3000 pounds that moved!!!

I picked up a new trailer last year. 18' dove tail Big Tex.
Looked at the Big Tex last week. Very well made trailer imo and what I would buy because they are closer to me than the Road Warriors, but I really want the ramps to pull out the back instead of the side.

Looked at the Big Tex last week. Very well made trailer imo and what I would buy because they are closer to me than the Road Warriors, but I really want the ramps to pull out the back instead of the side.
Mine pull out the back. 70DM is the model I purchased.

Pending where and if you want to mount a winch, that would be minimum length I'd want for a B body. B Body's are just over 17' long and a Super Bird is 18' 8".
Chrysler Town&country wagon in 77 was 21'6".

Mine pull out the back. 70DM is the model I purchased.
They must have changed their design on the new models. Now the only way to get the ramps out back is to buy a flat bed, all dovetail beds pull out the side.

I've got a 24 foot Big tex dove tail gooseneck. Love the trailer but its more for heavy equipment verus cars as the dove tail angle on mine is very steep and will scrap the frames on most cars. Mine is a 24G model. One thing to note, Big Tex does not warranty their trailer floors so do not get one with wood, even if treated.

What vehicle will you be towing the trailer with? I'd get a 20 footer. If you have a truck, get a gooseneck, low bed one, cost a tad more but easier to control with way less sway and easier to back.

Auto Transport Service
Back