• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ideas for a coolant recovery tank

Moparfiend

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:10 AM
Reaction score
Looking to set up a coolant recovery system for the Satellite. Currently have nothing but an overflow line out. Doesn’t seem to puke but then again I haven’t been able to drive and asses in the heat.

What are you guys doing/using? Ideally I would like to use a single can as opposed to a pressurized puke to an open pressure catch can system. Want to keep it simple but still have back flow back into the radiator.

Original rads and caps were not designed to flow back, that's why there was no puke tank.

Original rads and caps were not designed to flow back, that's why there was no puke tank.
I can understand that the original system was not set up for recovery but from what I understand a simple puke tank is not a recovery system that I was referring to. Simple puke tank I believe is just a catch can required if you want to put your car on the track. I am running an AL aftermarket radiator so I have the ability to tie back into the bottom of the radiator for recovery purposes. Only I don’t know if I can do this without a third open pressure over flow can. Not much room for two more cans...

Here's what I did...bought it off amazon. I cant for the life of me remember what it's exact application is, but I knew the dimensions I needed to fit, and this one nestles right in. Works just like I needed it to...the system can draw from/expel into the bottle as needed. As long as your line to the radiator gets to the bottom of the bottle, and there is a vent of some sort, it works both ways. You only need one bottle...
20190608_151307.jpg

20190608_151319.jpg

Jegs or Summit has nice heavy plastic recovery tanks in the $20 range.They fit well,work well, just remember to replace the rad cap with one that has 2 gaskets. Comes in many colors. I buy the black ones they kinda disappear under the hood when installed.You can just see the top of the hose in front of the battery between the rad support and grille.Only photo I got.can't even see the battery in the photo but it's there.
IMG_1798.jpg

Summit racing
I believe it is a Mitsubishi truck application

20180518_200117.jpg

Cars that came with recover tanks, like my 73 use a rad cap that is designed to work with the recovery system, and it is a different cap than the standard 16LBS radiator cap. So, if you are going to setup a recovery system, make sure you change the cap. Also, if you do change to that, then you always want to add coolant to the recovery tank, not the radiator.

Drag strip always mandated one in the late 70's... we used a beer can!
Yeah I remember those days too. Thats just a catch can or puke tank for keeping the track dry. Looks like some good ideas here with an open atmospheric jug with a simple line down to the bottom. I like the idea of plastic so I can see the level. Simple thanks everyone!

Looking to set up a coolant recovery system for the Satellite. Currently have nothing but an overflow line out. Doesn’t seem to puke but then again I haven’t been able to drive and asses in the heat.

What are you guys doing/using? Ideally I would like to use a single can as opposed to a pressurized puke to an open pressure catch can system. Want to keep it simple but still have back flow back into the radiator.

I use one from a Toyota 4Runner. It fits next to the radiator and is plastic so you can see the coolant level. I consider it a must to put on any of my old cars now. Not only does it keep the coolant from running on the road but it allows you to get rid of the dead air space in the radiator so you can run more coolant.

I use one from a Toyota 4Runner. It fits next to the radiator and is plastic so you can see the coolant level. I consider it a must to put on any of my old cars now. Not only does it keep the coolant from running on the road but it allows you to get rid of the dead air space in the radiator so you can run more coolant.

Keeping air out of the system prevents rusty water also.

So a recovery tank will work on a 'top and bottom tank" radiator?

I know most cross flow rads used them.

Well what's up with the Toyoyo parts being a good fit. I just checked, mine was for a '95-'04 Tacoma haha..

I found this one on Summit. Just a catch can.
20170915_122039.jpg

Used two existing holes to bolt a piece of aluminium to.
20170915_122102.jpg

Kryslerkid, you can use you present tank as a recovery tank by plumbing the hose from the rad to the bottom of the tank and using the top fitting as a vent/overflow.

I just have the loose hose going into a cheap, graduated, translucent travel cup from wal-mart

works as intended

Auto Transport Service
Back