• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ideas on storage to minimize rust

PlymCrazy

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:19 PM
Reaction score
I have (3) classics I keep in my pole barn when not being driven. All in great shape, but each has it’s small area(s) where some rust is coming through or threatening to. I live in upstate NY so very shortly they will be sitting for 5-6 months until next Spring. The last couple of winters they have been covered while being stored indoors. It’s not a heated structure at this point. Do the car covers help or harm what I’m trying to accomplish? Concerned covering them may be trapping moisture only promoting the very thing I’m trying to slow down. More rust! Can’t avoid it forever but I would like to be wise with the time I have between doing something about the rust.

Thoughts?

I have (3) classics I keep in my pole barn when not being driven. All in great shape, but each has it’s small area(s) where some rust is coming through or threatening to. I live in upstate NY so very shortly they will be sitting for 5-6 months until next Spring. The last couple of winters they have been covered while being stored indoors. It’s not a heated structure at this point. Do the car covers help or harm what I’m trying to accomplish? Concerned covering them may be trapping moisture only promoting the very thing I’m trying to slow down. More rust! Can’t avoid it forever but I would like to be wise with the time I have between doing something about the rust.

Thoughts?
I always used to have car covers but do believe the covers trap some moisture and over time taking off and on wears at the paint on some of the body lines. So in recent years I put the covers away and got a California duster for each car and weekly just give them a light dusting. Others may have a different opinion what what I do works for me.

I have heard those California Dusters do a nice job. I have a cheap one from HF right now. Worth the extra for the California?

he said rust, not dust......lmao.......i put wd40 on all kinds of stuff....... under hood, suspension, ect....... you can put it in the door shells, quarter panel drops, wherever you dont want rust, or dont want it to get any worse........

I had a mint original 67 Harley that I would spray the entire bike down with WD every winter.... and wash it off with soap and water in the spring

petunia.PNG

Last edited:
The whole bike? Holy smokes! Even on the paint?

I can understand the need for the duster though. They’re fixing to get dusty if we remove the covers so they don’t get rusty. No applause for the rhyme LOL

The whole bike? Holy smokes! Even on the paint?

I can understand the need for the duster though. They’re fixing to get dusty if we remove the covers so they don’t get rusty. No applause for the rhyme LOL

I didn't feel the need to apply it to the paint, but I didn't care if it got on it; and it did.......it's only WD40, never hurt anything

he said rust, not dust......lmao.......i put wd40 on all kinds of stuff....... under hood, suspension, ect....... you can put it in the door shells, quarter panel drops, wherever you dont want rust, or dont want it to get any worse........

I had a mint original 67 Harley that I would spray the entire bike down with WD every winter.... and wash it off with soap and water in the spring
I've used DW....I mean WD-40 too but down here it dries up even in the winter so transmission fluid is what I use. Years ago I had a 67 Dart that was rusty when I bought it and would spray it down with my used oil. It actually quit rusting lol but whenever it rained, you could see an oil trail going down the driveway.

@PlymCrazy Are the cars going to be stored in a pole barn where it's damp? Does the pole barn have doors or a dirt floor etc? Humidity is humidity no matter where you are and even it the pole barn has doors etc, a dirt floor isn't your friend.....

I've used DW....I mean WD-40 too but down here it dries up even in the winter so transmission fluid is what I use. Years ago I had a 67 Dart that was rusty when I bought it and would spray it down with my used oil. It actually quit rusting lol but whenever it rained, you could see an oil trail going down the driveway.

@PlymCrazy Are the cars going to be stored in a pole barn where it's damp? Does the pole barn have doors or a dirt floor etc? Humidity is humidity no matter where you are and even it the pole barn has doors etc, a dirt floor isn't your friend.....
No dirt floors. My hope is to eventually insulate and heat it within the next few years so I can get more use out of the place when I retire. I kept my wife’s ‘70 Nova out of the pic. Don’t wanna pick a fight around here.
:lol:

36’ x 48’ x 12’

5D5E0D89-162F-40E9-9B10-257AAD5C9752.jpeg

No dirt floors. My hope is to eventually insulate and heat it within the next few years so I can get more use out of the place when I retire. I kept my wife’s ‘70 Nova out of the pic. Don’t wanna pick a fight around here.

36’ x 48’ x 12’

View attachment 1341227
Most of us are car guys and seeing a 'Nova' isn't going to make us go nuts! :D

I’m a believer in moving the air around. My garage is insulated and equipped with a mini-split but I generally keep a ceiling fan in the garage on low Speed to move the air around. I started doing this in unheated garages years ago to prevent condensation from forming moisture on surfaces. It might be a problem to do in a space as big as you have but it helps keep any moisture migrating through the concrete from settling in on your chassis.

36’ x 48’ x 12’

View attachment 1341227
Nick post a pic of the wifes Nova its a great car.

F5C7961B-76F9-47E1-938E-EB7EBACA2797.jpeg
751D0B39-0326-49E4-9643-17529D236F0A.jpeg
2B08730F-7285-4279-93D0-C880144F9D7F.jpeg
7649A63E-25A5-4D20-BA11-9A9DD3604ECD.jpeg

1970, 4DR, 307, Powerglide, A/C
71k miles on it believed to be original
One spray it’s had
FL car until about 8 years ago

All matches the cowl tag except for:
1) originally was white vinyl top
2) originally was cloth seats, not vinyl

Thoughts?
Place your cars in those sealable car bags and use desicant in each one to keep the humidity levels low. This will help keep the mice out of your cars too. Yeah, $300+ per bag. Cheap insurance.

Place your cars in those sealable car bags and use desicant in each one to keep the humidity levels low. This will help keep the mice out of your cars too. Yeah, $300+ per bag. Cheap insurance.
Show me a picture of one of yours in them first. I’m all in at that point.

Auto Transport Service
Back