• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Identification of 4 speed and Bell Housing

Joel Talka

Local time
10:59 PM
Reaction score
Happy New Year all; It's been a few months time I have posted. We are finally moved into our new place and I have managed to get my workshop set up again.

I have this 66 Coronet hardtop. It was a 318/4 speed car when I got it but was originally a slant six/auto.

Yesterday I managed to pull the engine, tranny etc. out of it but do not anything about the bell housing or tranny. The plan is to pop a crate motor in there and to reuse what I have once I get it cleaned up and rebuilt.

Here are pictures of the bell housing and views of the tranny. Can anyone shed some light on what I have here? Thanks in advance, Joel
IMG_6244.jpg
IMG_6245.jpg
IMG_6245.jpg
IMG_6246.jpg
IMG_6247.jpg
IMG_6248.jpg
IMG_6249.jpg

Bell housing is a 69-71 small block 10.5” aluminum.

we need photos of the trans, the complete tail housing from the drivers side and the main case from the passenger side.

Does the trans have an aluminum case and tailshaft?

Agree we need pics of the whole trans it looks aluminum and unless it’s the holy grail nascar it’s an O.D. gearbox.

The front bearing retainer is small, and so is the hole in the bell housing, so it’s not an OD trans. The front of the case is so clean it looks like aluminum.

I would have to agree but the bearing retainer could have been changed and the bell is not an OD bell housing.

I don’t see a flat pad opposite side of the cover

Bell housing is a 69-71 small block 10.5” aluminum.

we need photos of the trans, the complete tail housing from the drivers side and the main case from the passenger side.
Thanks, On the bell housing.... is it small block only or can it be used with a big block? I'm trying to figure out what is the most cost effective way to re-do this car. I've more or less heard that big block bell housings are scarce and very costly, so my thinking was to stay small block.. do I have this correct?

Thanks,

Joel

Small block only on the bell the gearbox can be used on small or big block

I see a 1966-1967 trans. You will need a 66-67 bellhousing or get/make an adapter ring for a 68 and newer BB bellhousing.

1965 trans has the small speedo gear housing, that one has the 1966 and up style.

Question, don’t all 1965 4 speeds have a ball & trunion flange on the output.

I see a 1966-1967 trans. You will need a 66-67 bellhousing or get/make an adapter ring for a 68 and newer BB bellhousing.

1965 trans has the small speedo gear housing, that one has the 1966 and up style.

Question, don’t all 1965 4 speeds have a ball & trunion flange on the output.

Yes your exactly right all 65 were ball and trunion so by the casting number and no flat pad looks like an early 66 then. 97372 would be late 66 thru 68

Thanks, On the bell housing.... is it small block only or can it be used with a big block? I'm trying to figure out what is the most cost effective way to re-do this car. I've more or less heard that big block bell housings are scarce and very costly, so my thinking was to stay small block.. do I have this correct?

Thanks,

Joel
Thanks all for the info... My thinking is to find a small block replacement engine and keep the bell housing (cleaned up of course). The tranny can go back in there after a rebuild, second gear syncro is shot. Is there an easy way to figure out the gear ratio on the box based upon external numbers or do I need to engage the gears and count? Also, with these 833's were there "close ratio" and "wide ratio" units like in Chevy land? This car has the original slant 6 rear; 3.24 if I recall. I need to swap that out for a couple of reasons...what ratio should I be looking at?

Lastly, any good tranny rebuilders in Florida?

Much appreciated! Joel

Auto Transport Service
Back