• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Identify emergency calls

Aarons Air

Local time
7:10 PM
Reaction score
I thought i'd share what recently happened to me, as a heads up, for others, who may face the same thing. My parents failing health was cause for them to recently move to assisted living. The facility we chose has an onsite nurse 24 7. My siblings and i were told, if there are any medical emergencies, we would be contacted immediately. I didn't give the matter any thought, but assumed if i were called, it would show up on my phone, as the centers name, or at least be the main number associated with the facility. Their second morning there, my phone rings. It comes up as an out of the area, area code number. Being in business for myself, and in the habit of answering every call, as i never know if its a solicitor or customer, i answered. The call was from the facility nurse, on her personal cell phone. She was calling to say, my father was breathing, but unresponsive, and being taken to the emergency room. Thankfully he stabilized, and was ok. The following morning, he was transferred to another hospital. Where his dementia caused him to be unruly with the nurses. A nurse from that hospital, called me, on her cell phone, to try to calm him, over the phone. Both calls came from nurses private numbers. If i weren't in the habit of taking every call, and he not so fortunate with health, this could have ended much differently.

You would think the facility would want record of the call from their number for liability reasons.

...unless they are trying to pass that liability on the the nurse, who may be a contract "employee".

Yeah, I look at my phone all the time before I answer. You would think
they would want all calls recorded and documented?

...and want people to know who it is.

Been there, done that. Your jobs, as it was mine when both my parents were in a nursing facility, is to be ready at all times of the the day or night to answer a call by anyone from that place on any phone!! That's reality. It's about speed and on going information as fast as possible. I know what your saying, but it doesn't always work that way.

By the way... you're a good son!!!!! I'm proud of you and sorry for what you're going through!

By the way... you're a good son!!!!! I'm proud of you and sorry for what you're going through!
Thank you. It seems i'm following your example. We do what we can for our loved ones. I just wanted others to be aware.

Thank you. It seems i'm following your example. We do what we can for our loved ones. I just wanted others to be aware.
You're right, I recieved many of those calls, from multiple phones and felt just like you. I quickly realized that speed is the most important factor. The whole thing is just screwed up. You're a good man and you're still right!! It's hard, hang tough and Gods speed!!

My mother had Alzheimer disease, at the end very stressful time. It's good you answer calls.

Auto Transport Service
Back