• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Identifying a 999 trans VS a 904.

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:28 PM
Reaction score
The story I heard....In the early 80s when the other automakers were developing their overdrive automatic transmissions, Ma Mopar was short on cash and designed the 999 trans as a temporary fix. These has a lower first gear than a traditional 904, something like a 2.75 while the 904 used a 2.45. They went taller with the axle gearing to compensate so the final drive was often similar to a GM or Ford in OD.
I want to do this same setup in my Brother-in-laws 72 Duster. It has a fairly stock 360 with a 340 cam, a Weiand 4 barrel intake and 340 exhaust manifolds. This car has been a L-O-N-G term project, sitting in my shop or back lot since 2007. It is time to get this dude on the road.
It currently has a 3.91 cone SG from a truck. I want to pull the chunk and put a 3.23 back in with the existing SG. The lower geared 999 should still deliver spirited acceleration.
He plans to use the car as a 2 season daily driver in Phoenix. It has no working heater or A/C, that may come later.
I don't want to cut the floor to add a 518 even though I have a rebuilt one sitting in the shop right now. The one I have is an all electronic one that needs a stand along controller. The 999 and 3.23 combo should be a winner.
I need to know how to identify a 999. I'm guessing that since they came on line sometime in the 80s, I'd need to look at LA V8 cars like the Imperial/Gran Fury/5th Avenue and maybe even trucks and vans.
In the event that I come across a transmission out of a vehicle, what ID numbers should I look for?
Thanks....

I have a PN list that identifies the transmissions. PM me a fax# or email, and I will send it to you tomorrow.

Auto Transport Service
Back