• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Idiot Light

khryslerkid

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:53 PM
Reaction score
Who's using their low oil pressure light with a high volume oil pump?

Reason that I ask is I had a 383 years ago, installed a high volume oil pump and blew the sending unit apart. This was a guage sending unit with the larger "can" looking unit.

This application would be for a light "small" sending unit. I already have a mechanical guage, I would just like to have the light working for a "In your face" warning.

Thanks in advance!

I have blown the back out of an 80 psi pressure gauge but neither the idiot light or electrical gauge unit.

The large sender is for a gauge. The small one is for the light.

I always hook the light back up if so equipped and use the small one.
If not I have installed a aftermarket light.
Funny I have had the can one blow out/leak but never the small one.

Bought the Standard brand PS11 for a light. There is a PS11T which is the lower grade switch, looks just like the OEM. Something about the quality of the internals. The PS11 that I bought is rated at 3 to 9 psi activation pressure.
20200616_145059.jpg

The ports on the back of this 1967 440 are two different sizes. The factory location is 1/8" npt thread and the right side is 1/4" npt. The original 361 that came out of the car has both 1/8" npt.
20200616_150446.jpg

This video is doing a cold crank. It's been sitting for a couple of days. I'll crank the engine without touching the gas or using the choke until the light goes out. Helps with priming the oil and the carburetors.

I don’t use an oil pressure gauge but bought the 30psi idiot light switch. Can’t imagine waiting for 6 psi to scream in terror and shut it off.

I don’t use an oil pressure gauge but bought the 30psi idiot light switch. Can’t imagine waiting for 6 psi to scream in terror and shut it off.

I think you have this backwards. It's 3lbs to 9 lbs to activate the light. If the pressure drops down 3lbs to 9 lbs the light will come on. Anything over this pressure the light will go off. Just like the factory designed it.

You have me confused. Nates idiot light comes on if oil pressure drops below 30 lbs. You word it the light comes on at 3 to 9 lbs. If it drops 3 lbs to 9lbs it comes on. ????

You have me confused. Nates idiot light comes on if oil pressure drops below 30 lbs. You word it the light comes on at 3 to 9 lbs. If it drops 3 lbs to 9lbs it comes on. ????

Never heard of such a thing. Does it kill the engine too?

If the light comes on at 3 to 9 ouch engine rebuild time.

That's what the specs were in the Standard book when looking up the part. I'll have to look at it again tomorrow. Hell I wouldn't want it coming on at 30 lbs. It would be on every time I'd pull up to a stop sign.

I'll compare it to the guage tomorrow and see what it's doing.

That's what the specs were in the Standard book when looking up the part. I'll have to look at it again tomorrow. Hell I wouldn't want it coming on at 30 lbs. It would be on every time I'd pull up to a stop sign.

I'll compare it to the guage tomorrow and see what it's doing.
I could see 10 to 15 and leave some error of margin. I get kind of antsy if it even drops below 20.

I think you have this backwards. It's 3lbs to 9 lbs to activate the light. If the pressure drops down 3lbs to 9 lbs the light will come on. Anything over this pressure the light will go off. Just like the factory designed it.

I wasn’t thinking of the hysteresis. Even worse. The 30 psi switch actually tells me something I want to know.

Huh, that's odd....
I just consulted the FSM and they don't mention an actual number considered to be "low" -
or even what the switch should operate at?

Huh, that's odd....
I just consulted the FSM and they don't mention an actual number considered to be "low" -
or even what the switch should operate at?

Agreed, not there. But the replacement units usually have that in the spec.

Auto Transport Service
Back