• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Idle solenoid

Mikke H

Local time
7:40 PM
Reaction score
What turns the idle solenoid off after startup ?It operates but does not seem to turn it self off and there is no switsh i kan find ?

"Idle solenoid"? Are you talking about the anti-diesel solenoid?
What engine, what year?

Six pack? - Turns off with key, always on when engine is on.
Don’t know anybody that uses one. Some have it on the engine but adjust it down so it doesn’t do anything.

Six Pack car .Ok that sounds wierd what is the idea vhit sutch a thing ?

Ranger16 called it an “anti-diesel solenoid”.
My understanding is that when you shut down it allows the carb to close tight to prevent engine run on, or “dieselling”. They must have had a problem with this back in the day. Mine did it when I first got my engine running but not since it has been tuned properly.
There is probably someone on here that knows more about it than I do.

Ok dont hawe dieseling problem so il adjust it off for now !Thanks guys !!

The solenoid was part of the "package" Chrysler used to deal with emissions standards. The fuel calibration of the "Six Pak" was set to deal with those standards. I found on each of my 6 BBL carb combinations that a main key to drivability was removing the idle adjustment plugs on the end carbs and enriching the idle mixture a bit. Idle improved, transition to end carb improved, no need for the idle solenoid at all.

It can also be hooked up through the distributor vacuum advance stupid system. The vac advance goes five degrees advanced and activates the solenoid. If you have that advance on the car you will definitely know it.
s-l1600.jpg

Its always on with ignition as said, still using mine as intended with no problems

Ok do you hawe it set on 900 rpm idle ?

No, about 700.
I'm sure i could eliminate it but it works fine

Gentlemen,
My '70 GTX is an original V code car and has a fully functional "anit-diseling" solenoid. It is energized (plunger extended) all the time the ignition is "on". It was part of the Cleaner Air Package (later called Cleaner Air System. Due to ever increasing emission requirements (lower CO & HC components of the exhaust), OEM carb jetting is leaner, static spark advance is retarded, and thermostats are calibrated for a higher operating temperature and idle RPMs are higher. All of these things contribute to the POSSIBILITY of engine dieseling on shut down. The purpose of the solenoid was to close the carb throttle valves on sundown eliminating the after run possibility.
Because of the cam I use (Crane equilivant to the Mopar 292 degree 0.509 lift purple shaft at 4 degrees retard) the engine idles at approximately 1200 RPM and +15 degrees static timing (35 degrees total @ 2400 RPM) I need the anti diesel solenoid energized at idle for a reasonably smooth idle. I experience NO dieseling at shutdown. I use the OEM Prestolite dual point distributor. The choice to use the solenoid as intended or not, is up to you. Just be glad you do not have the air injection system, a belt dfiven air pump and associated plumbing.....a real PITA (pain in the ***).
But...this is just my opinion.
Bob Renton
To Halifaxops.... the distributor solenoid shown in your posting RETARDS the static timing approximately 5 degrees thru the insulated connection on the carb's hot idle screw....just thought you might like to know.....BR

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back