• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If you had one set of roller rockers, would it be 1.5 or 1.6?

TexasRoadRunner68

Local time
4:41 PM
Reaction score
I have a couple cams and both can take 1.6 ratio. For steel, T&D quoted 2700 ish…I guess 1770 is for aluminum.

For a $3k set, should I go with 1.5 or can you still use most cams with 1.6 ratio?

These basically will be permanent on my trick flows. Should I go smaller ratio if I want to be able to use more different cams in the future, or is 1.6 pretty safe.

Sorry I’m beating this one to death, it’s just an even bigger investment than I planned.

street 1.5 race 1.6
To expand on that, 1.5 reliable, 1.6 harder on valvetrain and solely for the purpose of squeaking out the very last bit to maybe gain a tenth.
Street/strip is still street in my books.

Imo, it depends on what you want out of the engine. If the engine seems to like more lift then yeah and especially these days when replacing the cam with another and having to take that chance of it flattening out.....

1.5. if you take the time to check true rocker ratio, especially if you have a few different sets to check, then all this 1.5 vs 1.6 stuff would clear up quickly.

I would do 1.6 for sure w T&d since it's a investment. You haven't really explained the need for high end rockers. We wouldn't consider steel T&d till we are past .700+ lift w a big roller cam w ridiculous spring pressures.

I’m running 1.6 HS rockers with my 240 TF Heads Roller Motor. At the time I didn’t mean to order them so there you go lol. My engine guy said with my combo they would be perfect and he is absolutely **** with his heads, rockers and push rods and he guaranteed them to last as long as 1.5 rockers. I don’t even know if I gained any HP but I don’t care as long as they’ll last and when FASTMAN was tuning my car he said he absolutely loved what the engine was showing him. Not because it’s my motor but it’s the quietest roller motor I’ve ever heard in person. I would say if you custom order your cams to your needs you should never need a 1.6 rocker but I could be wrong. I’m wrong alot lately lol.

I was looking at aluminum at first, but if you’re already spending the money why not go with the most durable option? The Hughes cam I have calls for some stuff springs, so that is what initially made me look into beefier rockers.

It’s a low deck 512 with 10.4:1 that’ll be topped with trick flow 270s, an Indy single plane and a 950 4150 Holley or 995 dominator. I wanted hydraulic roller for ease of maintenance, as this car will see a good amount of street use.

I just want to make sure I’m getting the most practical rockers if I’m spending the money. If I ever broke down this motor and put it on a 440 and went solid roller, would I be better off with 1.5 or 1.6?

Cams are $500, I could buy another cam if I wanted to go solid roller or wanted more lift. These are $1700-2700, so it’s a bit more permanent. I just want something that will utilize the heads best. Would it make the most sense to stick with steel 1.6, steel 1.5, or should I really just be sticking with aluminum?

1.5. if you take the time to check true rocker ratio, especially if you have a few different sets to check, then all this 1.5 vs 1.6 stuff would clear up quickly.
I’m still learning all this stuff. T&D can to 1.5, 1.6 or different ratios on intake and exhaust. Care to elaborate on true rocker ratio? I’m assuming the benefit to steel would be allowing me to go to a big lift solid roller cam if I wanted?

On my 451 that Racer Brown picked the cam and rockers on, he spec'd 1.6 intake and 1.5 exhaust. My 493 by IMM Engines, he used all 1.6 ratio. I'm not an engine guy so just bought what the guys doing the motors recommended.

Then 1.55, right in between :rofl:
From my research the Harland sharps are made with .05 extra built into them for deflection.
But I've never chocked anything up for measurement and testing to prove it out.

I put the HS 1.6:s rockers on the Trick flow 240 heads, but I was only using a 240'ish @ 0.050" duration solid roller cam.
The stealth heads have the HS 1.6:1 rockers to with a hydraulic roller cam. I even tried cheap CAT 1.7:1 stainless rockers on the stealth heads, and performance was good, but the rockers were not oiling the pushrods correctly, and the roller tips were not hardened. Someday I might rebuild them with good roller tips and adjusters and try them again?
Put HS 1.6:1 rockers on my friends car with a solid flat tappet Hughes cam.
have the 1.6:1 T&D rockers on the Edelbrock MW heads, with a big Comp HXL lobe cam.
Also, Crane 1.6:1 rockers on the 360 LA with a Hughes Flat tappet hydraulic cam.

Many cars have higher ratio rocker stock. Main reason to say with a 1.5:1 rocker is if you are worried about lobe wear on a flat tappet cam.
I can see running a higher intake ratio and lower exhaust ratio also.

I have a couple cams and both can take 1.6 ratio. For steel, T&D quoted 2700 ish…I guess 1770 is for aluminum.

For a $3k set, should I go with 1.5 or can you still use most cams with 1.6 ratio?

These basically will be permanent on my trick flows. Should I go smaller ratio if I want to be able to use more different cams in the future, or is 1.6 pretty safe.

Sorry I’m beating this one to death, it’s just an even bigger investment than I planned.
I just struggled with this decision over and over myself when building my 512 with TF240's. I ended up going with 1.5's. And I'm still not sure it was necessarily the right decision. There are so many things to think about beyond lift, most notably valve speed, P2V clearance, and rocker angle. And there's spring pressure, increased valve float potential, more measurement concerns, pushrod sizing, and spring clearance. But if I'm honest... having said all that, I would go with 1.6 :)

I was looking at aluminum at first, but if you’re already spending the money why not go with the most durable option? The Hughes cam I have calls for some stuff springs, so that is what initially made me look into beefier rockers.

It’s a low deck 512 with 10.4:1 that’ll be topped with trick flow 270s, an Indy single plane and a 950 4150 Holley or 995 dominator. I wanted hydraulic roller for ease of maintenance, as this car will see a good amount of street use.

I just want to make sure I’m getting the most practical rockers if I’m spending the money. If I ever broke down this motor and put it on a 440 and went solid roller, would I be better off with 1.5 or 1.6?

Cams are $500, I could buy another cam if I wanted to go solid roller or wanted more lift. These are $1700-2700, so it’s a bit more permanent. I just want something that will utilize the heads best. Would it make the most sense to stick with steel 1.6, steel 1.5, or should I really just be sticking with aluminum?
How much lift does the hughes cam have 1.5 vs 1.6, and what spring pressures 1.5/1.6?

415 lbs open, 155 closed for both with the stiff springs they call for. .570/.575 on 1.5, 0.608/0.613 on 1.6.

Aluminum is like 1770, steel is 2770.

Is steel overkill for 1.5? If I went with a bigger solid roller would it be worth going with the steel 1.6?

Wa
415 lbs open, 155 closed for both with the stiff springs they call for. .570/.575 on 1.5, 0.608/0.613 on 1.6.

Aluminum is like 1770, steel is 2770.

Is steel overkill for 1.5? If I went with a bigger solid roller would it be worth going with the steel 1.6?
Steel is way, way, way, overkill. 415 open really isn't much. Mancini, hughes, HS would all handle it...aluminum T&d is also overkill.

And yes..w that cam I would run 1.6s.

Auto Transport Service
Back