• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If You're Planning on Buying a Headliner for your 1962

khryslerkid

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:15 PM
Reaction score
I thought I would share my experience, buying a Hardboard headliner for my '62 Dodge, Polara 500.

My original headliner was the hardboard type. Perforated hardboard covered with, what's called Bedford Cord. No one makes it.
20171118_104039.jpg
20171118_112758.jpg

So I thought I would just change it to a cloth and bow type headliner. Doing some research, I found a hardboard one made by REM.

I talked to REM and asked if they could email me some pictures.
DOD-HLR-310.jpg

20171122_143540.png

So for a little more money than a cloth, I decided to give it a try. The first one I received from REM had a damaged piece and the rear panel was cut into three pieces.
20171207_121319.jpg
20171207_123130.jpg

Contacted them and they stated that their cutter cut it wrong and they would replace both pieces. A couple of weeks later I received the replacements. They got smart on the piece that had been damaged and left some material there to give it some support.
20171216_160400.jpg

Then looking at the rear piece, I find these two small pieces that appeared to have been cut from the lower corners. What's up with that?
20171217_111457.jpg
20171217_111506.jpg

So I contacted them once again and ask what's up with cutting the corners off of the main piece?
They explained to me that the material that they get to make these isn't long enough. Why would you even offer something if you can't make it right in the first place?

They told me to glue a backer onto it and attach the supplied pieces to the corners. I also noticed that the perforated holes aren't straight with the edge. They said they have to place the patteren on the sheet at an angle to get as much as they can out of it. Who does this ?

I ordered the jute insulation from them also, figuring it's precut, and that would save me some time. This is what I received. (Original on the left)
20180130_152027.jpg

Not even close. Contacted them with pictures and they said maybe you could trim it to fit. I said I probably wouldn't have contacted you if I could. The material isn't wide enough to do that. So I'm sending it back for a refund. I'll just buy a piece big enough and cut my own.

So this is my "heads up" if you're planning to go this route with REM. This is what you get. Rant over unless someone mentions their name again.

Here's a link to my build, removing the headliner and prep work starting with this page.
http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/taking-up-new-residence.114133/page-21

Last edited:
Really Sucks! Meanwhile just how many weeks did you lose and your time....

The reproduction industry is an embarrassment 95% junk and at a hefty cost....

I’m thankful needless to say that my original headliner on the GTX is in perfect shape. That’s one thing I never wanted to replace. I’m sorry for your pain...

Sorry to hear your experience.I did have a feeling when I saw there perforated headliners appear last year that they didn't understand what the originals where like and in no way satisfied my questions. Most suppliers don't know these (one year only) cars at all.

Luckily I have some original thick paper templates of the headliner board and will be reproducing my own set.
The board is untempered Masonite pegboard . Same as pegboard but flexible.
The original Bedford cord was foam backed ,I've tried to source some but nothing comes close.
Le baron Bonney use to have material/fabric that looked close (and was light beige like the originals)but I see it is no longer on there website ,I'll need to call.The larger sample is from originalauto.com but I'm not sure how it compares to the original.
Otherwise I may try and reproduce it myself with a flocking process.

If I where you I'd try and stick with the originals ,yours are pretty good especially the boards.
I would also say that demand produce's better and better supply with repo car parts.....unfortunately for us we are rare group.

Thanks for the heads up

image.png image.jpeg

Last edited:
If anyone will find the solution to this problem Kid, It will be you! Admire your perseverance! 95% of the people that see these cars when they are done have no EFFEN clue how much effort and Frustration goes into these builds ! There is a story behind every segment of the process. Keep Kicking ***! You are a great spokesman for our hobby! Keep the faith!

Really Sucks! Meanwhile just how many weeks did you lose and your time....

The reproduction industry is an embarrassment 95% junk and at a hefty cost....

Hey Justin, I know you know these things first hand!
Well it's been really cold and that's been placing me behind on what I've been wanting to accomplish. Glad it happened now and not later.

Sorry to hear your experience.I did have a feeling when I saw there perforated headliners appear last year that they didn't understand what the originals where like and in no way satisfied my questions. Most suppliers don't know these (one year only) cars at all.

Luckily I have some original thick paper templates of the headliner board and will be reproducing my own set.
The board is untempered Masonite pegboard . Same as pegboard but flexible.
The original Bedford cord was foam backed ,I've tried to source some but nothing comes close.
Le baron Bonney use to have material/fabric that looked close (and was light beige like the originals)but I see it is no longer on there website ,I'll need to call.The larger sample is from originalauto.com but I'm not sure how it compares to the original.
Otherwise I may try and reproduce it myself with a flocking process.

If I where you I'd try and stick with the originals ,yours are pretty good especially the boards.
I would also say that demand produce's better and better supply with repo car parts.....unfortunately for us we are rare group.

Thanks for the heads up

View attachment 566736 View attachment 566743

Hey '62, thanks for sharing your research. I know you've been trying to work out something on yours too.

I've never seen this type of hardboard in a high end Dodge. It seems to be a Plymouth only with the exposed hole patteren. The original board is the thinner board that's covered with the foam pattern. Also like you stated, it's flexible. This board is thicker, more fibrous, and sort of brittle. I do have some scrap pieces to experiment with. It's going to take some heat or maybe a steamer to shape it where it curves. Just popping it in like the factory did will probably break it.

I'm going to install it and see if I like it or not. If I don't, I can easily remove it and try covering it with a material. I've seen different patterns that would suffice. My original boards are intact but very warped. Maybe with some steam they could be straightened but will they hold up and not warp again. I'll hang on to them for the time being. At this point, the cloth with bows might have been the way to go but I'm determined to make this work for the simplicity of installing the board. Gotta love a challenge!

If anyone will find the solution to this problem Kid, It will be you! Admire your perseverance! 95% of the people that see these cars when they are done have no EFFEN clue how much effort and Frustration goes into these builds ! There is a story behind every segment of the process. Keep Kicking ***! You are a great spokesman for our hobby! Keep the faith!

Hey Thunder! You know me, I'll share my experiences to make it a bit easier on the next guy trying to accomplish the same thing. Or maybe someone is seeing what I'm doing and has a better solution. It's what this site is all about.

Last edited:
My dad bought a kit from Classic Ind. It even came with the head liner bows. He took it to a shop to have it installed. Looks good. He wasn't worried about it looking original.

My dad bought a kit from Classic Ind. It even came with the head liner bows. He took it to a shop to have it installed. Looks good. He wasn't worried about it looking original.

Same here, I'm not too concerned about originality, just something that looks good. Like Thunderlugs stated, most people don't know the difference!

Same here, I'm not too concerned about originality, just something that looks good. Like Thunderlugs stated, most people don't know the difference!
Not to mention how many people stick there head in & look at the head liner .

Well it's been really cold and that's been placing me behind on what I've been wanting to accomplish. Glad it happened now and not later.

Hey '62, thanks for sharing your research. I know you've been trying to work out something on yours too.

I've never seen this type of hardboard in a high end Dodge. It seems to be a Plymouth only with the exposed hole patteren. The original board is the thinner board that's covered with the foam pattern. Also like you stated, it's flexible. This board is thicker, more fibrous, and sort of brittle. I do have some scrap pieces to experiment with. It's going to take some heat or maybe a steamer to shape it where it curves. Just popping it in like the factory did will probably break it.

I'm going to install it and see if I like it or not. If I don't, I can easily remove it and try covering it with a material. I've seen different patterns that would suffice. My original boards are intact but very warped. Maybe with some steam they could be straightened but will they hold up and not warp again. I'll hang on to them for the time being. At this point, the cloth with bows might have been the way to go but I'm determined to make this work for the simplicity of installing the board. Gotta love a challenge!

Hey Thunder! You know me, I'll share my experiences to make it a bit easier on the next guy trying to accomplish the same thing. Or maybe someone is seeing what I'm doing and has a better solution. It's what this site is all about.
AMEN Brother!!

AMEN Brother!

One member on here used thin Baltic Birch, steams it in the bath tub to bend it. He covered it with shelf liner. Maybe be could help if you had further questions. Another friend on mine was missing the plastic chrome covered bows.He bought some 3/4 x 3/4 square solid plastic trim from the lumber yard bathroom section. I think he ripped them in half then used a router to make the snap in groove. Looked just fine, pretty innovated!

Had same stuff happen to me, corner got broke off. Bought from Joe Suchie called him and he had them send me another rear sheet, neither one had the extra pieces for the corners. I made some from first broken panel. Matched them up to large piece and it looks pretty good. I have more material if some one need some to make pieces. Didn't buy the Jute, left it out and used sound deadener on roof.

I thought I would share my experience, buying a Hardboard headliner for my '62 Dodge, Polara 500.

My original headliner was the hardboard type. Perforated hardboard covered with, what's called Bedford Cord. No one makes it.
View attachment 566589 View attachment 566590

So I thought I would just change it to a cloth and bow type headliner. Doing some research, I found a hardboard one made by REM.

I talked to REM and asked if they could email me some pictures.
View attachment 566592
View attachment 566594

So for a little more money than a cloth, I decided to give it a try. The first one I received from REM had a damaged piece and the rear panel was cut into three pieces.
View attachment 566596 View attachment 566597

Contacted them and they stated that their cutter cut it wrong and they would replace both pieces. A couple of weeks later I received the replacements. They got smart on the piece that had been damaged and left some material there to give it some support.
View attachment 566598

Then looking at the rear piece, I find these two small pieces that appeared to have been cut from the lower corners. What's up with that?
View attachment 566599 View attachment 566600

So I contacted them once again and ask what's up with cutting the corners off of the main piece?
They explained to me that the material that they get to make these isn't long enough. Why would you even offer something if you can't make it right in the first place?

They told me to glue a backer onto it and attach the supplied pieces to the corners. I also noticed that the perforated holes aren't straight with the edge. They said they have to place the patteren on the sheet at an angle to get as much as they can out of it. Who does this ?

I ordered the jute insulation from them also, figuring it's precut, and that would save me some time. This is what I received. (Original on the left)
View attachment 566609

Not even close. Contacted them with pictures and they said maybe you could trim it to fit. I said I probably wouldn't have contacted you if I could. The material isn't wide enough to do that. So I'm sending it back for a refund. I'll just buy a piece big enough and cut my own.

So this is my "heads up" if you're planning to go this route with REM. This is what you get. Rant over unless someone mentions their name again.

Here's a link to my build, removing the headliner and prep work starting with this page.
http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/taking-up-new-residence.114133/page-21

IMAG0185.jpg

Had same stuff happen to me, corner got broke off. Bought from Joe Suchie called him and he had them send me another rear sheet, neither one had the extra pieces for the corners. I made some from first broken panel. Matched them up to large piece and it looks pretty good. I have more material if some one need some to make pieces. Didn't buy the Jute, left it out and used sound deadener on roof.

View attachment 567152

That looks real clean, being white. That's the look I'm going for. Did you paint the board or just use it the way it was? Also how did you attach the corners? I'm thinking a thin piece of cardboard onto the back then line up the small piece to the larger. Using clear two part epoxy.

How did the install go. Was it flexible enough to just pop it in place or did you use heat or steam to get it to form for you?

I have an upholstery guy that keeps the jute. If I ever get ahold of him I'll use that. If not I'm going with the foil sound deadener. Too freaken cold in the garage for gluing right now anyway.

Last edited:
That looks real clean, being white. That's the look I'm going for. Did you paint the board or just use it the way it was? Also how did you attach the corners? I'm thinking a thin piece of cardboard onto the back then line up the small piece to the larger. Using clear two part epoxy.

How did the install go. Was it flexible enough to just pop it in place or did you use heat or steam to get it to form for you?

I have an upholstery guy that keeps the jute. If I ever get ahold of him I'll use that. If not I'm going with the foil sound deadener. Too freaken cold in the garage for gluing right now anyway.
No Paint that's the way it comes, exactly the way I attached no heat gun, no problem.
no jute just foil sound deader

The station Wagons have the same boards in them. I am working on a 64 Belvedere. I just took mine down yesterday. I will try and straighten the good boards but the front one will need to be replaced. I also dont know if the boards will hold there shape after being straightened. I am looking for some boards to replace the front bad one. Good information everyone. Thanks

So after ordering the jute insulation from REM and it not being correct, I did some shopping around and found some on Home Depot's site. They don't have it in stock, you have to order it online.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/UltraTouch-48-in-x-24-ft-Radiant-Barrier-30000-11424/100661257

It took a week to receive it, being shipped from Arizona. So I open the box and it really looks like a nice product.
20180214_145310.jpg

Then I did a double take on how much I had received. Here's my invoice.
20180214_145345.jpg

Here's what I get...
20180214_141236.jpg

I'm really getting tired of all this incompetence! I called and they gave me the runaround about what they should do. "Send it back and they will send the right one". I'm not going through all of that! It's their mistake and they need to make it right. So after going around and around with them, they finally told me to keep it and they're sending me a $55. coupon (via email) to put towards a reorder or whatever I want to use it toward. Geeesh!

Hows this for a 56 yr old original ? :poke:
Picture 157.jpg

I hate mine looks like crap I have the same problems with the lower rear corners im gonna look up classic ind. I want a cloth h/l looks way better

62Max That looks very well preserved. It must not have had a lot of sun.

Auto Transport Service
Back