• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IFS swap

72Fourspeed

Local time
10:51 PM
Reaction score
At the risk of public execution, has anybody considered the 2003 up Ford Crown Victoria IFS as a swap candidate for a B or C body ?
Just looked over one stuck in a Ford 1/2 ton. That is a good looking setup. Tubular upper arms, power rack, & big anti lock brakes. I'd love an Alternation or Magnum Force kit, but 5-6 K is too big a hit. Local yard has lots of CVs. Any thoughts out there ????.

You would have to pretty much h frame the whole car. Nothing to tie into but the fire wall !
Could be done but a lot of frame work to get it rite !!

At the risk of public execution, has anybody considered the 2003 up Ford Crown Victoria IFS as a swap candidate for a B or C body ?
Just looked over one stuck in a Ford 1/2 ton. That is a good looking setup. Tubular upper arms, power rack, & big anti lock brakes. I'd love an Alternation or Magnum Force kit, but 5-6 K is too big a hit. Local yard has lots of CVs. Any thoughts out there ????.

I have two of them at my house. I just bought a 66 dodge swept line with the crown vic set up in it. I will have to redo it.The previous owner didn't finish the fabrication and also put the crossmember in wrong. I have another one that I am going to put in my friends 55 ford F100.

You could make it work but you would have to cut your frame to pieces. The lower control arm mount goes back about 12" from center and on B,C frame rails that is were it curves down. So you would basically have to cut the frame rail out and put in a straight piece of square tube and then fab the frame back together from that point.

I can take pics of the system if you like I have one out and on the floor.
Thanks,Joe

03-09 crown vics have the front end you want. I wouldnt do that to a b body it would be much easier to buy a magnumforce front end. I seen *** monkwy use CV front ends in old trucks and that seem like a awesome idea. Way netter then a straight axel.

It would be easier to do the Magnum force,the alterkation, or others. But damn, they are 5k after brakes. That 2003 up CV is a beautiful IFS with killer brakes,suspension, & a power rack. Just wish it would fit. Maybe I ought to call the bearded wonder. Aaron, are you listening ?

I can understand the need that some people feel to make improvements to their cars, but....
Have these same people ever driven a well prepped Mopar with its stock based OEM design? I'm talking about a reinforced K member, boxed LCAs, subframe connectors, upgraded power steering chuck, bigger torsion bars and sway bars and top of the line shocks? For less than half the money, you can have OEM durability and great handling. Our cars were built to take a beating. The frame rails were designed to carry part of the suspension loads, not all of it. The torsion bar crossmember also carries part of the suspension load. Most of these aftermarket suspension setups place ALL of the loads on the two frame rails, then they fail to connect them in the same manner as OEM. The factory K member helps the frame rails to resist "parallellogramming". The aftermarket crossmembers do not.
My guess is that if people buy these kits and only drive them on smooth roads, they may be just fine. I seriously doubt that a RMS equipped car would be faster on a road course or dragstrip.
One of the benefits I hear is..."I love the header clearance." Well, TTI and Dougs offer great headers for most cars, even first gen A body cars. Another comment: "The steering feel is so much better." Better than a 100,000 mile car with worn out parts? Really ???
Again....try driving a stock based Mopar with upgraded parts. You might find that the engineers knew what they were doing .

I can understand the need that some people feel to make improvements to their cars, but....
Have these same people ever driven a well prepped Mopar with its stock based OEM design? I'm talking about a reinforced K member, boxed LCAs, subframe connectors, upgraded power steering chuck, bigger torsion bars and sway bars and top of the line shocks? For less than half the money, you can have OEM durability and great handling. Our cars were built to take a beating. The frame rails were designed to carry part of the suspension loads, not all of it. The torsion bar crossmember also carries part of the suspension load. Most of these aftermarket suspension setups place ALL of the loads on the two frame rails, then they fail to connect them in the same manner as OEM. The factory K member helps the frame rails to resist "parallellogramming". The aftermarket crossmembers do not.
My guess is that if people buy these kits and only drive them on smooth roads, they may be just fine. I seriously doubt that a RMS equipped car would be faster on a road course or dragstrip.
One of the benefits I hear is..."I love the header clearance." Well, TTI and Dougs offer great headers for most cars, even first gen A body cars. Another comment: "The steering feel is so much better." Better than a 100,000 mile car with worn out parts? Really ???
Again....try driving a stock based Mopar with upgraded parts. You might find that the engineers knew what they were doing .

This is almost exactly what 747Mopar just explained to me in conversation.... Makes complete sense

Auto Transport Service
Back