• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ignition & alternator

gpwood

Local time
5:32 PM
Reaction score
OK,
Folks I know this has been asked a bazillion times but going to ask anyways. I have a 1967 Belvedere with a stroked 440, all original ignition is gone, want to put a MSD 6AL with ready to run distributer and 1 wire alternator, problem is my battery is in trunk. Both MSD and alternator say go to battery directly, would like to put MSD box in car under the dash and run wires out from there, really don't want to run wires to trunk, is there any way around this? Starter solenoid possibly with jumper to power junction point? Possibly a diagram for such a hook up
Thanks for all your help in advance, I appreciate it?
gpwood

I would recommend a bulkhead battery terminal in your firewall. Run a larger than stock alternator output wire to the engine side along with a battery cable. Hook your MSD hot to the dash side terminal. You did not say where the battery positive is connected. Probably to the starter? Hook it to the engine side of the bulkhead terminal and run from there to the starter. Follow me?
Mike

Doesn’t “ready to run“ distributor mean you don’t need an MSD box?

Doesn’t “ready to run“ distributor mean you don’t need an MSD box?
Tell more I'm all ears. Why would the box not be included.

Tell more I'm all ears. Why would the box not be included.
To cut to the chase, that's what ready to run literally means.
The ignition is built into the distributor.

I would recommend a bulkhead battery terminal in your firewall. Run a larger than stock alternator output wire to the engine side along with a battery cable. Hook your MSD hot to the dash side terminal. You did not say where the battery positive is connected. Probably to the starter? Hook it to the engine side of the bulkhead terminal and run from there to the starter. Follow me?
Mike
Battery positive wire is going to starter, yes! I'm not following you? please explain a bit more when you can
thanks!

Battery positive wire is going to starter, yes! I'm not following you? please explain a bit more when you can
thanks!
Run the cable from the battery to the bulkhead stud (engine compartment side) and a shorter cable to the starter. Also put the heavier gauge alternator output cable on the same side. All you need on the inside of the bulkhead stud is the MSD power feed.
Mike

Auto Transport Service
Back