• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ignition conversion problem......

Michael Harmon

Local time
6:33 AM
Reaction score
NO fire. Simply trying to convert to electronic ignition on my '66 Charger. Bought the MP Orange box kit. Installed with no issues, yet NO fire. Its not the ground. I've double and triple checked, I've even run additional grounds just to be sure. Yet no fire. Ran fine with the old points distributor. Mancini racing said it could be a bad ECU. Its brand new, but possible I guess. The only problem with that, is to try another one. Yet you can't return used electrical parts typically if its not the problem. I have power to the coil, power to the ECU. NO spark. Could it be the module in the distributor? Any thoughts guys? Thanks!

Mike

68413217_2542586785806931_5018865187424305152_n.jpg

How's your charging system, have you upgraded it?? Good Luck
http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Electrical/charging.htm

All I saw was orange box ..... go pick up one from napa and see what happens. I wouldn't take an orange box if it was free !

Could be the pickup coil in the distributor. Did you check the gap in the distributor ?

Is the orange box grounded well and did you set gap on pickup? .008 and you need a brass or non-magnetic feeler gauge.

Is the orange box grounded well and did you set gap on pickup? .008 and you need a brass or non-magnetic feeler gauge.

As I stated, everything is grounded, and regrounded just to be sure. I eyeballed the gap on the new distributor before I put it in.....have't actually checked it though. It looked about right. Thanks.

Could be the pickup coil in the distributor. Did you check the gap in the distributor ?

Its a brand new Mopar distributor. But I know that doesn't mean anything. It could be the pickup, I haven't found out yet. Gonna try a different ECU first. Thanks.

Update. Tried a new ECU from Napa. Still no spark. Power to the distributor from the box. Still no spark. I set the pickup coil at .008. Question: the directions say you should feel a magnetic pull when pickup goes across the magnet. I feel nothing. However, I do feel a little when I touch my screwdriver to it. I'm getting pretty frustrated. Does anyone know the resistance reading for the pickup? I tested at 248 ohms. Seems like a lot. Anyone know?
Thanks!

Silly question, sure the coil is wired correctly ? Still using the ballast resistor ?

Silly question, sure the coil is wired correctly ? Still using the ballast resistor ?

I have a brand new coil. I double and triple checked the wiring. I have power to the coil. Power to the ECU. Power to the distributor. No spark. Ballast resistor and connectors are fine.

To set the .008 gap you need a brass feeler gauge. If you use a steel feeler you'll get false gap. Be sure you have ECU hooked to 12v side of ballast resistor, probably not your problem,

To set the .008 gap you need a brass feeler gauge. If you use a steel feeler you'll get false gap. Be sure you have ECU hooked to 12v side of ballast resistor, probably not your problem,

I did use a brass feeler. I have 12V to the coil, ECU and distributor. No spark. Coil is brand new. So with ignition on, should't I be able to put a test light probe on the pickup and get a reading? I get nothing.

Auto Transport Service
Back