• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ignition lock cylinder (mechanical issue)

DeltaV

Endeavor to persevere
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:46 PM
Reaction score
How does the cylinder lock come apart?

I want to take it apart even if it is beyond repair...I want to see what broke or jammed.

Background:
(0) The car is a 1979 Chrysler Cordoba (SS22L9R...aka 300) with 139,000 miles.
(1) For several years I have been able to remove the ignition key while the car is running. Not a problem per se.
(2) The ignition key/cylinder felt "funny" (not smooth) when I started the car one day. Otherwise, everything else seemed normal and I drove home.
(3) I turned the ignition key to the off position when I arrived home. Nothing seemed abnormal and I removed the key.
(4) I reinserted the key and tried to start the car, but the key/cylinder lock would not turn in either direction.
(5) My everyday key is very worn. So, I tried starting the car with my fresh/unused spare key (yes, it's the correct spare), but the lock/cylinder will not turn.
(6) I pulled the lock/cylinder and it is pictured below. The key will not unlock the tumbler.

IMG_20180407_162721603.jpg

Last edited:
Each little pin inside has a separate spring to provide tension. Either a spring broke or your pins are worn too much. A locksmith might be able to fix it, or get a new cyl assy.

Auto Transport Service
Back