• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm at the crossroads and need some advice

Baller

Local time
7:24 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys. With my garage done and everything inside organized, it's finally time to start on my 1970 GTX. I'm going to attempt to do the bulk of the work myself. I've pulled off the window and drip rail trim (both a bugger when you've never done it before) and set them aside. I'm likely going to pull the window mechanisms out as they are really sticky. Is it smarter to restore stuff as you pull it out and then set it aside or should I concentrate on stripping the car down for paint and body work first? I'm not after a trailer queen or show car, though the car is numbers matching. I don't want to end up like a lot of guys with a car blown up in his garage that never gets done. Any advice would be appreciated.

2017-01-13 015-copy.jpg

At least you have a plan and are aware of what can become if you're not careful! I have found that cleaning up certain stuff as it is removed is a good plan. It makes it ready for the final rebuild as well as finding out if it needs replaced or repaired. Lord knows, you can't get it all done in a day, but when you remove piles of parts fast, things can get confusing on reassembly. By doing the clean up as you go it paces you and allows your brain time to absorb what you are working on and how it functions.
Helps my old brain anyway!
Oh and of course, have tons of bags and tags on hand!

LOTS OF PICTURES OF SUB-ASSEMBLIES!! Bag all stuff and label. I detail the smaller components, in-between working on the larger stuff.

as gdrill said,bag and mark everything.i found tape will harden and cause problems over time,so dont attach stuff to a surface you are worried about later.
i would clean as i go,but dont spend a ton of money on the small stuff before you know what the body and paint is gonna show you.
most projects get stalled in this area due to labor and cost of prep work.

If your completely dismantling your car than you are not different than the trailer Queen people.....Both remove, replace new/nos and restore parts. The process is the same and the difference is $$$$$.

So with that being said and as others noted document everything. Well labeled bags and then placed in larger plastic containers. For example interior, exterior etc.

All my new parts/nos go into very large containers also. For example, one for all weather strip, one for suspension, one for interior, one for exterior, one for motor, one for trans etc.

While my car is in body and paint is when I restore all the parts and drivetrain. So when the car comes back I can start assembly.

When I did body and paint myself I would restore parts during the downtimes.

How far are you going?

Heres my advice.

Strip the car, get some boxes or totes or what ever and document everything. Grab a refrigerator box or a stove box (they are nice and thick) and tape a sharpie and a pointy screwdriver to it, when you take out a bolt stick it in the box and write where it goes. Grab a couple boxes of ziplock bags the ones you can write on, and bag and box everything while making a list of what needs to be restored and what replaced.

I yank the trim, grills, lights, and glass, then doors, hood, decklid, and fenders (mark and keep every shim and know where they came from, if your car is still factory lined up and still has nice lines), get it all looked over seal any rust and set aside, then interior discard what is junk and keep track of with lists.
Yank the driveline all together, and under the hood parts, underneath parts, make some dollies to roll the car around on with no wheels or rear end. (its actually easier to move the car on casters than with wheels, I know people say they don't want to pull k member and rear axle because they want to be able to move the car, but casters are nice.)
Decide what you are doing with trunk hinges, I leave them in the car with a bar holding them down.

Now once the car is stripped its easy, if you are doing your own body work start there, get underneath, inside, the engine and passenger compartments cleaned and prepped, fix all the rust, don't worry about the outside of the quarters or roof, just get that body ready for paint and then jamb the entire shell (not the outside panels mask them off on the flats) with single stage urethane.

While thats being done, send out you steering box and pump(steer and gear), wiper motor (bruce ns1aar), tranny (jamie at passon), chrome parts, booster and master(I would just buy new), radiator (I would buy aluminum) and engine and rear end (if your not doing that yourself).

NOW you have a painted shell that you can start putting together, so restore and install your 1/4 glass, door strikers, wiper assembly, heater box, dash board, pedal set, console, column, seats, install new headliner, carpet, etc pretty much the entire interior can get done.

Also restore your entire K member, blast and paint it all, new bushings, brakes, etc. (great time to blast and paint everything else, hinges, bumper brackets, engine brackets, supports, etc.) Restore your engines auxiliaries, and all of them parts. Install your fuel system and what ever brake lines and wiring you have done.

So by the time you are done with that your, steering, motor and tranny should be done, get that all bolted up to the k member assembly and drop the car on it. and put on your front wheels. Also a good time to install the rear end.

Now you have a roller, with fuel tank, driveline, and interior installed. Pretty easy from here, now I would take the doors apart ( you may need to take doors apart sooner to send vent frames for chrome. I always have a pile of cores) and restore the mechanisms and set them aside, get the doors all stripped, sand and prime the inside of the door assembly, get your jamb area nice and neat, then spray just the jams finish color (wether you are doing black or body color or interior color, have them done). I would do the same with the fenders, get the inside all cleaned and sealed, don't worry about the outside yet.

Now, the part hate most, mount the doors, and line them up perfect, then the fenders, do as much of your lineup as you can (keeping the shims in order from being taken apart will help). Not sure if you are doing your own body but nows the time, sand and prep, I like to do deck lid and hood off the car, but I prefer doors and fenders be mounted, just personal preference, some people like it all off the car, some people want it all on.

At this point you can paint the car if you wanted, from here its all easy stuff, a little wiring, some plumbing, exhaust, coolant system, door assembly, lights, install front and rear glass, vinyl tops, trim, decals.

Not to bad of a process when you do it this way, take it from me a guy that has bought a lot of other peoples projects, the guys that finish are the guys with a plan, if you jump around and do a little from here and a little from there, you never finish it and if you do you tend to go over yourself a few times, take forever and hate the process..

being the car empty and stripped is a milestone, seeing the car jammed is a milestone, seeing the car with the firewall and dash installed is a milestone, feeling the car with the driveline and wheels on it is a milestone, seeing the car with a complete gut is a milestone, fenders and doors on, etc.. All stuff that keeps you going.

For me I send out very little, I used to rebuild the motors myself, but I don't anymore, but I do strip them myself and source the parts myself. I send the steering pump and box, I send the wiper motor, the tranny, and thats about it, I don't do headliners myself either but I have a guy that comes and does them for me at the shop, I restore my own dashes and everything else though.

So my first order of business is always get that stuff sent out and on its way so I am not waiting for parts. Now I know money is another issue. But if you do the math on what extra it costs to do it "all" vs just jamb it all black and bed liner not pull everything out and nut and boot it. You will be surprised how little it adds up to and how much more the car is worth.

A car like that I am thinking if you do the body work engine build all yourself it's $15k resto all day. Now if you send tranny motor and body out. Maybe $30k

Last edited:
Since it doesn't appear that you're driving it now, if you have room to strip it for body/paint go for it...I can't stress what the others have said enough...pictures, labels, and something I've learned to do is put screws/bolts back in their holes after removing parts where practical..this can save you major headaches later on, especially if you don't know how long the car will be apart...it's a little different if you are able to drive it and enjoy it, it's much better to resto-as-you-go where you can so as not to have it spend years off the road

I installed engine/trans/rad/wiring/all accessories/completed and running with the fenders off. No leaning over fenders, worrying about paint and a lot easier on the back. Don't know what others do but it worked for me.

When I did my 69 GTX, I removed things in sections and kept them together. Engine bay, interior, driver door, pass door, etc. Pictures and label if you need to. For mouldings and parts I taped the screws and retainers to the parts.

As you pull them, make notes of what needs replaced or specifically what you will need to order. Makes it easier as you start getting close to re assembly you know what to get.

I would not try everything at once or you will get frustrated and feel overwhelmed. Do what you need to on the body and start in sections. Do not jump around, do not worry about sub assemblies.

Auto Transport Service
Back