• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm going back to manual adjustment on my 11" front drums ('68 GTX)

moparedtn

I got your Staff Member riiiight heeeere...
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:45 PM
Reaction score
I am removing the "conversion" self-adjuster setups from his front brakes that I installed back when everything
got replaced front and rear last year.
I'll post a link to that whole thread if anyone wants to read it - but suffice to say, whatever suggestions anyone
could possibly come up with at this point have been tried already - but thanks just the same. :)

The only item I have not addressed are the self-adjuster kits themselves, so off they come!
If anything else, it's a fairly quick way to eliminate them as suspects too I reckon.

Does anyone have a pair of left and right adjuster "star" wheels and the heavy springs that go directly
on top of them that I can buy??

Thanks!

I don’t think I ever had self adjusters work properly. The police cars of late 60’s vintage used the 11” drums without them.

As well as cars like 68-69 Charger R/T's.
Yep, from my research Ma went to self-adjusting sometime in the '69 mid-year models.
My dumb *** threw away all the original hardware when I redid the brakes and added self-adjusters
and now I believe all I need to go back are these for both fronts:
existing rear brakes left side.jpg
Apparently the proper part names are "adjusting screw spring" and "adjuster screw".
(Yes, I know that pic is of the rear brakes, but the fronts are the same on the adjusters - there's a
Left and a Right).
I've been able to locate new adjusters all over the place, but those particular springs (that actually
sit down on the adjuster wheel and hold the adjustment you make) are proving hard to come by.

Yep, from my research Ma went to self-adjusting sometime in the '69 mid-year models.
My dumb *** threw away all the original hardware when I redid the brakes and added self-adjusters
and now I believe all I need to go back are these for both fronts:
View attachment 1297967
Apparently the proper part names are "adjusting screw spring" and "adjuster screw".
(Yes, I know that pic is of the rear brakes, but the fronts are the same on the adjusters - there's a
Left and a Right).
I've been able to locate new adjusters all over the place, but those particular springs (that actually
sit down on the adjuster wheel and hold the adjustment you make) are proving hard to come by.
My May '69 built 69 runner still has manual adjusters for the 11"drums all around. 4/26 sbd.

Following up here. Part numbers (aftermarket) are as follows I believe:

"Adjusting Screw Spring" H403 or NAPA 80503
"Adjusting Screw - HD Manual Adjust 11" H1500 or NAPA 80562

Both NAPA and the other brands (Raybestos, Wagner, etc.) only list one adjusting screw
and their notes say to use on either side. What's up with that?
I mean, sure I guess you could since the only adjusting would be by you, but does that
sound correct?

Loooks like an either-or part to me. Just make sure the adjusting star is in line with the slot in the backing plate.

i think i have them springs and adjusters i will check tomorrow and let you know

Loooks like an either-or part to me. Just make sure the adjusting star is in line with the slot in the backing plate.
I reckon that's why there's two slots on the backing plates, eh? Always wondered about that...

Following up here. Part numbers (aftermarket) are as follows I believe:

"Adjusting Screw Spring" H403 or NAPA 80503
"Adjusting Screw - HD Manual Adjust 11" H1500 or NAPA 80562

Both NAPA and the other brands (Raybestos, Wagner, etc.) only list one adjusting screw
and their notes say to use on either side. What's up with that?
I mean, sure I guess you could since the only adjusting would be by you, but does that
sound correct?
I believe so. The manual adjusting screw is centered in position so you can reverse direction for the other side to expand out with the same direction of the brake tool.

61PcCIkwZiL._AC_SX522_.jpg

619zNeRovbL._AC_SX522_.jpg

Both are Raybestos (I'm sure, probably made in China).
H1500 are the "Adjusting Screws"
H403 are the springs (they only come in a pack of 4)
About $26 shipped on Amazon. :)

Curious if you are leaving the self adjusters on the back Ed?

Curious if you are leaving the self adjusters on the back Ed?
For now at least, yes sir.
"Ed logic" at play here - if what I'm told about the rear brakes' adjustment determining "pedal" is true,
I want the old back 'er up and hit the brakes adjustment method to still be in play. :)

UPDATE 6-26-22:
Having run out of any other excuses, it was time today to get after the actual work at hand.
Despite it being humid as hell and downright nasty outside, I jumped in both feet for some more
concrete rollin' exercise, nasty brake dust style.
Here we go...

EXISTING SITUATION:
Once I jacked up the front end and pulled the wheels and drums, here is how I found things.
IMG_20220626_164659477.jpgLF brake as found 1 6-26-22.jpgLF brake as found 2 6-26-22.jpgRF brake as found 6-26-22.jpg
All presented dry, clean and seemingly in order - EXCEPT - those of you with sharp observation skills might detect
one slight variation between left and right sides, specifically in the hardware arrangement...

The shoes? Eye-opening...no, SHOCKING is more the descriptor to describe those as found:
IMG_20220626_152408666.jpgIMG_20220626_165250285.jpg
Obviously, they'd been aggressive as hell and had been getting HOT - they literally were cut/grooved in that pattern!

To be continued in next post - damn site only allows 10 pics per post....

Auto Transport Service
Back