• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IMHO it's 1969 again.

SteveSS

Local time
2:56 PM
Reaction score
Cadillac is announcing a 682 hp full-size SUV that goes 0-60 in under 4.5 seconds and does 12-second quarter miles in the 12's. The horsepower wars have been raging for more than a decade but governments everywhere are cracking down. A full 35% of vehicles sold in California must be electric by 2025 (That's just around the corner) and all vehicle sales must be electric 10 years later. If you're old enough you remember a similar government crackdown starting around 1970 to 1973. So for about 10-25 years, our 1969 Hemi Chargers languished until people started looking back. And thy still are. I have NO doubts these high horsepower (especially 6 speeds) are going to be worth a ton in the future. Yes, 150 large is a lot to spend on a new Cadillac SUV but they will come down. Be looking for the day when today's muscle trucks, cars, and SUVs are sneered at for being dinosaurs.

Then go buy the best examples you can find.

I could tell you what I think about the california electric car mandate..... but this thread would be in politics in a heartbeat.

The mandates a hoot. They couldn't supply the power anyway.
I agree though, the automakers are pulling out all the stops to leave a lasting memory IMO.

It's good to set high goals. It makes us more creative.
When they are successful, gasoline will go the way of Whale Oil. Nobody will want it and 110 octane will sell for $1.50 a gallon

When they are successful, gasoline will go the way of Whale Oil. Nobody will want it and 110 octane will sell for $1.50 a gallon
When they are successful, production of gasoline will drop like a stone, and demand for a hard-to-get product will drive 87 to $25/gallon. 110 will be $150.

The problem with pretending gas is going to vanish, our current criminals in charge have plenty of stocks, and plenty of money in petroleum. Sorry not buying it.

We’re all just puppets.

Reminds me of a new bitch we hired (I was overruled) who said in a meeting soon after she was hired, ‘I could learn your jobs in three days’. Imagine that, 20 years of experience and ya got it snagged in 3 days huh? Damn hated that bitch and glad it didn’t last long. Anyway, my point is the purported magic of an all-electric vehicle – yeah – just like that these vehicles are the answer. Hmm, no thought to the process of finding/refining raw materials, the carbon print involved with mfg just one, and the massive restructuring of our – infrastructure to recharge these veeehickles plus the power grid required. Where is this ‘power’ going to come from? A humongous battery located in Montana…maybe a wind turbine in the backyard? Then there’s the issue of dying batteries requiring more charging and lower run capacity and then the disposal of these batteries. Yep, got this all licked in what? A decade? Best a luck.

How's the weather where you are? Lol j/k

When they are successful...
BULLSHIT! The electric grid is already teetering on collapse, with blackouts, brownouts, and many areas requesting or demanding reductions in power consumption.
Utility bills ARE SKYROCKETING in cost, because fossil fuels are THE ONLY WIDESPREAD RELIABLE means to generate electricity, and fossil fuels were the LEAST EXPENSIVE means to generate RELIABLE power. Nuclear power is great, but feared by the ignorant.
The reason why electric utility bills are SKYROCKETING? The current administration has been at WAR against domestic production, AS PROMISED, from DAY ONE.
Sorry, but this topic can NOT be discussed without posting the FACTUAL TRUTH!

Saw a Tesla broke down on the freeway today. Driver was on the phone looked angry with waiving arm.
was thinking he can’t even open the hood to possibly see the problem.

1969 again ?
Not even close. Queers kept their secrets
locked up behind bedroom doors, 16 year
olds discovered new found freedoms with
their first set of wheels. Drive-in theaters
offered prime entertainment on a Saturday
night. Woke was exactly it's inference.
Homeless bums were told to hit the road,
and one was locked up for shi**ing in the
street. Yes ma'am kept you from a back
hand. And God forbid a young lady needed
an abortion. The male party of the latter
was held accountable. It takes two to
tango.

These are just the tip of the iceberg.

Responsibility, pride of country, honor,
integrity, honesty. Alive then, fleeting now.

If it were only true it was 1969 again...

EV's will never melt the ICE.

Last edited:
1969 again ?
tango.

Actually, in my opinion, 69 was the beginning of the end of the American Way. People hating soldiers, spitting on them, calling them baby killers,(my dad was Army), drug use had become a norm rather than taboo, religion was being shunned as it limited your 'freedoms', and teachers were being looked at as evil punishers abusing children with paddles, and Dr. Spock said spanking your child to correct behavior was evil and wrong.
Here we are 53 years later, reaping what we sowed.

Actually, in my opinion, 69 was the beginning of the end of the American Way. People hating soldiers, spitting on them, calling them baby killers,(my dad was Army), drug use had become a norm rather than taboo, religion was being shunned as it limited your 'freedoms', and teachers were being looked at as evil punishers abusing children with paddles, and Dr. Spock said spanking your child to correct behavior was evil and wrong.
Here we are 53 years later, reaping what we sowed.
I would agree that this time period was right
on the cusp of past values being trashed.
I guess our family were some that are
(lucky?) and still adhere to those values.
I spanked my kids when they needed it.

I run a construction company in NYC , we do work for Con Ed , and infrastructure work for the city. For the next 3 days we are on a heat contingency. What that means is Con Ed will not let us excavate for fear we might damage a feeder cable and cause a blackout in the area where the damage was. We go through this every summer CE can barely supply the demand for electric now when everyone is plugging their cars in forget about it!

I agree that short-mid term that the current high output gasoline cars are going to become more coveted. But in the long term, nobody is going to be restoring these cars because they are far too complicated for the average Joe. Values for 20-30 year old cars will plummet and people will be buying the new hot rods of whatever power source is available. Unlike how it was in 1969, the new hot rods of today will be completely worthless in 50 years.

As far as state mandates for 100% electric sales, we will see all of these dates fall back as manf's turn out to be unable to meet those demands and free people challenge the laws in court.

1969 again ?
tango.

The music was far better in 1969 than it is today.

The music was far better in 1969 than it is today.
1659580690313.png

Auto Transport Service
Back