• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In tank fuel pump or remote sump

diesel_lv

Local time
7:30 PM
Reaction score
I am installing FiTech FI on my '67 Coronet. 2 choices, Aeromotive Gen II 18464 fuel tank with in-tank fuel pump, fully baffled so fuel slosh is not a problem or remote sump such as Edelbrock or FiTech system. The remote systems can be serviced easy if an electric fuel pump goes bad, and I already have a return fuel line to my tank. The in-tank system requires the tank to be dropped, major "PITA" if required. On my Blazer, I cut a square over my fuel pump access area and then built a reinforced panel above it for easy changing if necessary. Would this be a viable option for a '67 B body, cutting a squar panel over where the fuel pump is located in the tank? Thanks in advance.

I would not cut a hole in the floor period. I have a 67 coronet i bought the arromotive in tank pump with the foam baffle, a few guys make a plate that sets into the top of stock new tank whichi installed with tig weld.

I bought the Spectra EFI tank with integral pump. I have the FAST 2.0 setup (up to 1200 HP) on a 528 stroker (650+ HP). The "in tank" pump is supposed to have enough oomph to supply up to around 750 HP. So no need to go crazy on high-end expensive fuel systems until you determine that's what you need. Keep in mind that unless this is an all-out race car, its only going to see the occasional blast. Plan the system based on what the most use will be plus a a little safety factor. Another thing about the Spectra tank, the in-tank pump is a standard Walbro design and if more volume is needed its a simple $100 upgrade.

This engine is a 496 stroker w hydraulic roller cam. Right at 600hp at the crank n high 600 to. I've got the fuel system figured out, that's not what I need help with. An in tank pump is a "PITA" if it goes out. Have to pull the tank, that is why I built an access panel on my Blazer. Lift the carpet, cut the metal tape, unscrew and voila, instant access. A remote sump, if the pump goes bad, open sump and replace pump. Kinda leaning towards sump, but want it clean and have no idea where to mount it.

Don’t buy from Ricks Tanks. Under-hood pressurized pumps are too close to engine heat.
In tank or no go for me. Just choose wisely and get advice here.

This too is my first at bat with EFI. I chose the Aeromotive 340 phantom and the Edelbrock ProFlo 4. The ProFlo needs around 60 psi so I figured the Aeromotive in tank was the way to go. Still in the install so I can’t say one way or the other. The intank is quieter than the external but a PITA if it fails so ...I’ll keep updates going and I hope you do the same, good luck

8BFF6779-AB66-40AA-8B2D-7DCA86587D89.jpeg 44C5361C-F4A1-43C2-80B6-5C3FD5AB7609.jpeg 584375A5-3F57-4B16-AE2F-39D038A1C5F2.jpeg 50122D8D-F5D0-47AF-89CD-DB3197FEB8F0.jpeg

Are those filters in and out of the regulator? What is the reason?
Mike

Thanks everyone for the replies. Aeromotive does have a good rep. They are the only in-tank fuel pump w proper baffling that I have found for a '67 B-body. It costs about the same as a remote sump. Does anyone know of another baffled tank w fuel pump installed besides Aeromotive?

I went with an in tank set up couldn't be happier. Tanks Inc. has some options you could check out

Green72, I don't quite understand your pic. Did you use a stock tank and then add the fuel pump in it? If so, what kind of baffling did you use to keep the pump from starving during cornering, accelerating n braking?

Are those filters in and out of the regulator? What is the reason?
Mike
The ProFlo recommends two 10 micron filters, one before the regulator and then one before the fuel rails. So I designed a bracket that would give me easy access for maintenance and hold the filters securely. It was cheaper to go with the hard stainless line than 6AN braided hose. It also keeps me under 3 foot of flexible fuel line on the car. I’m full 3/8 stainless hard line front to back

7887790F-E704-4781-B90B-3C70675CEF77.jpeg

The in-tank system requires the tank to be dropped, major "PITA" if required.

Doesn't seem like a major "PITA" to me. Probably one of the easiest cars to remove the fuel tank from, IMO.

I would just install it as is with no access panel. It's not something that requires servicing even remotely often.

INTMD8, I had to replace it once when I inherited it as it had sat for a few yrs. Getting the filler and vent hose connected and holding it up in place by myself while trying to get the straps started was a major PITA. I have zero help and everything is a one man show with jackstands and floor jack.

Fair enough guys, just saying that in tank pumps last a looooong time. Long enough to where I wouldn't be concerned about a roadside repair enough to make a trap door.

JMO! :)

Fair enough guys, just saying that in tank pumps last a looooong time. Long enough to where I wouldn't be concerned about a roadside repair enough to make a trap door.

I agree !

Actually, I'm more concerned about the brand of pump. You're in the middle of nowhere and your pretty billet Aeromotive pump craps out you're screwed. On the other hand, your no-frills Walbro craps out you can put in any ol' Walbro pump that the local autoparts store has on the shelf and it'll get you home. Use a stock style EFI tank and you don't even need to drop the tank to swap it !!

Actually, I'm more concerned about the brand of pump. You're in the middle of nowhere and your pretty billet Aeromotive pump craps out you're screwed. On the other hand, your no-frills Walbro craps out you can put in any ol' Walbro pump that the local autoparts store has on the shelf and it'll get you home. Use a stock style EFI tank and you don't even need to drop the tank to swap it !!
I completely agree. If I could find a '67 B body tank that was baffled to not starve a pickup under any conditions and then mount a Walbro frame mounted pump, that would be perfect. Ideal actually.

Auto Transport Service
Back