• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In Tank Fuel Pumps

Mike67

Local time
10:17 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone converted to an in the tank type pump where the tank has the spare tire well?
Ive checked Ricks Tanks, Tanks Inc and no one has a FI tank for a 67...
Holley and Aeromotive make the retro kits buy Im not sure how well it will work no being baffled or sumped...
I have a fuel cell now, and wouldn't mind keeping it but havent found much info on converting or buying one made for FI....
The other thought was to buy a tank made for a different vehicle, cut the well out and adapt it to a flat trunk pan...???
Thanks

images.jpg download.jpg

Briefly researched this, didn't find anything for 67's so I decided ill go with a cell.

Would you mind listing your components, cell, pump, if efi which one, etc... I have to start piecing mine together soon

Well, that why Im asking now, lol! Im going to go w/Meanstreet, want a return to the tank.
Currently my car is set up w/ a 12 gallon plastic cell w/ a rear sump. The Holley states with their micro mat you really dont need a sump & claim you wont run dry. I dont expect to ever let it get that low anyways...
Just wanting to see what others have done. Would like for my fuel gauge to work as well...

Has anyone converted to an in the tank type pump where the tank has the spare tire well?
Ive checked Ricks Tanks, Tanks Inc and no one has a FI tank for a 67...
Holley and Aeromotive make the retro kits buy Im not sure how well it will work no being baffled or sumped...
I have a fuel cell now, and wouldn't mind keeping it but havent found much info on converting or buying one made for FI....
The other thought was to buy a tank made for a different vehicle, cut the well out and adapt it to a flat trunk pan...???
Thanks

View attachment 437411 View attachment 437412

The Holly is a bad idea as there is no baffle for the return line to keep filled with fuel and the pump submerged for cooling. If you do that just use an inline pump. The Aeromotive does create its own baffle from the installation instructions. I have a '68 and Tank Inc had a baffled tank that I used. My concerns are in the 2 areas I had problems.

1) Leaking at the flange. My Tanks Inc use Neoprene gaskets that leaked even with the aircraft sealer they recommended from day one if I filled the tank. I replaced them with cork/rubber this weekend and that is fixed.
2) I had my pump just a little too deep in the tank and when the fuel/tank got hot in the Arizona heat it deformed to the point where contact was worse and the pump noise was radiated through the tank so bad it could be heard over the exhaust. I cut it all shorter and left at least 1/4" between the pump items and the bottom of the tank which solved that.

The Areomotive system presses the foam ring against the bottom of the tank to create a weak seal so the return fuel can keep that baffle full of fuel. My only concern would be how much noise that will transmit though the tank. I don't have an answer.

That would be great!

Last edited:
Mike,

Got my tank from my 67 sitting around too - i was just getting ready to post a thread about
- - in tank pumps
- - extetnal pumps

Advantages / disadvantages ? ?

I already cut the wheel well out of my trunk and made it flat. got a shop locally that will weeks up an aluminum tank for me need to figure out in tank or external ?

Figures - not much to find on 67s . . . argh !

Im convinced the internal pumps are much better for two reasons
1- It runs much cooler
2- Its a lot easier to push than pull even if you are only talking about a couple of feet difference.
3- And the are a lot quieter!!! Lol!!!

Larry since you have flattened out your pan it might be easier to go with a 68 EFI tank...

I just bought the in tank pump that I'm putting in my 67 satellite from Tanks. If you look at the dart tank posted above, Tanks makes the section that you can weld into your tank to recess the pump. I bought that as well. Everything seems to be well made and should be an easy project.

I have a 66 Coronet and installed an MSD Atomic EFi.

I used a repo Spectra fuel tank. I tacked welded some square tubing on top of the tank to shim it down just enough so that the supply/return fuel fittings didnt rub on bottom of trunk pan. I think this route was easier than welding in the tanksinc tray. The factory fuel tank strap works, youll just need a longer eye bolt from home depot.

I forgot which square tube size i used but i made sure to get something just a tad taller than the tallest fuel fitting.

Overall, you cant even notice the tank is dropped. Will try n grab some pics.

watermelon

I have a 66 Coronet and installed an MSD Atomic EFi.

I used a repo Spectra fuel tank. I tacked welded some square tubing on top of the tank to shim it down just enough so that the supply/return fuel fittings didnt rub on bottom of trunk pan. I think this route was easier than welding in the tanksinc tray. The factory fuel tank strap works, youll just need a longer eye bolt from home depot.

I forgot which square tube size i used but i made sure to get something just a tad taller than the tallest fuel fitting.

Overall, you cant even notice the tank is dropped. Will try n grab some pics.

watermelon

Which pump did you use?

added pics

thought i had an extra piece to measure but don't. it just needs to be a bit taller than the tallest fuel fitting

so i added the pieces on the very top of tank as well as the wheel well location so everything shimmed down evenly. on the very top to the tank i made sure to leave a space so the fuel supply/return lines and power connections could feed through; it is not a continuous square tube on top if that makes sense.

i modified the fuel filler while workin on new tank

watermelon

IMG_9381.JPG IMG_9384.JPG IMG_9388.JPG

Thats great! Since you didnt use the recess adaptor how did you get the flange to sit flush?
Thanks for the info, it gives me new hope that it might be easier than i thought!

stock photo of pump assembly added

you will need to cut a hole on top of tank. the flange of pump will be on top of tank. there is a support ring that gets inserted into hole of tank so it can get sealed fuel tight

the square tubing will be taller than fuel fittings providing the clearance

take a look at the tanksinc link. its a good overview

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=article/article_ID=42/art42.htm

if i can remeber anything else ill add it to thread

watermelon

For some reason I was thinking there were ribs on the top...thanks again!

there are some contours but that ring n flange assembly flatten them out when all the screws get tightened

Auto Transport Service
Back