• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Inboard 67 Dodge Springs??

mdurbahn

Local time
11:12 AM
Reaction score
Hey Guys I am trying to figure out if you do a spring relocation kit on a 1967 Coronet how much if any tire space you gain without doing a mini tub? Anyone done it?

Quite a bit... That's an old school N50-15 and there's room for more. One suggestion I would make in hindsight is that if you do it, lengthen your wheelbase by an inch or so. It will allow you to put a much taller tire as well as an increase in width. I'd be pushing it with a 29" bias ply.

upload_2019-7-25_16-34-42.png

Wow that's a nice size. I would definitely not need to minintub then. Good idea on the wb change, I'd definitely be interested in adjusting that for a taller tire.

Quite a bit... That's an old school N50-15 and there's room for more. One suggestion I would make in hindsight is that if you do it, lengthen your wheelbase by an inch or so. It will allow you to put a much taller tire as well as an increase in width. I'd be pushing it with a 29" bias ply.

View attachment 807203
That's WITH a mini tub yes?

That's on a 10" wide with 5.5" backspacing. BUT, I built the rear to fit those wheels because I already had 'em. If you're using the stock width rear you'd be using a different wheel.
If you didn't put in the mini tub would you have still gained space by just inboarding?

Maybe an inch or two either way. Not much. Mini tubbing is pretty simple though.

View attachment 807203
If you move wheel base need to drill holes in hangers for springs and change up the drive line what about shocks towers do they also need moved. Just curious as a couple guys have put on 29 tall tires without relocation kits or mini tubs. Of course this is on the 64 dodges

I can see that on Plymouth's the hangers are forward one inch than a Dodge and can understand moving it back to get more room. But are you saying move it back another inch.

If you didn't put in the mini tub would you have still gained space by just inboarding?

I imagine any gains would be minimal. When you move them into the fram rails and then mini-tub, you are moving the inner wheelhouse all the way up to the frame rail.

If you move wheel base need to drill holes in hangers for springs and change up the drive line what about shocks towers do they also need moved. Just curious as a couple guys have put on 29 tall tires without relocation kits or mini tubs. Of course this is on the 64 dodges

With a spring relocation kit, you get a set of front hanger "boxes" that you weld in. At the same time, it makes sense to then weld in subframe connectors between the boxes and the front crossmember. For the rear spring mount, you drill a hole through the rear frame rail and weld in a tube for the top shackle to mount into. The limitation for a 29" tire is at the front edge of the wheel opening. There's a ton of room behind the tire, so there's plenty of space to move the axle back. I could probably do a 29", but the clearance to the front would only be about a half inch at best. I have bias ply tires on the car because I run a manual transmission. They wouldn't have enough room to grow if they were that close. The upper shock mounts remain stock, the angle of the shock becomes a bit more upright because the lower mount moves in with the spring relocation. Also, you may need a longer driveshaft depending on how much longer you make the wheelbase.

Auto Transport Service
Back