• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Inch pound torque wrench recommendations

JimCoronette

Local time
2:14 AM
Reaction score
Any recommendations on inch pound torque wrenches?

I haven't bought a precision tool in a while.
I'm buying a lot of things from HF these days, but I want something with a little better accuracy for adjusting transmission bands.

The Neiko 03714A looks pretty good to me at the moment.

Bands are a specific torque correct? In in/lb? You will need a 1/4" drive low torque in/lb torque wrench. I would recommend a micrometer style (turn the handle to increase torque) I like MAC or Proto but most manufacturers are fairly accurite.

Bands are a specific torque correct? In in/lb? You will need a 1/4" drive low torque in/lb torque wrench. I would recommend a micrometer style (turn the handle to increase torque) I like MAC or Proto but most manufacturers are fairly accurate.

Yes, 72 in/lbs

I'll look into those two.

Actually if you use it properly (and that goes for any type of torque wrench), A beam type is very accurate and very inexpensive for a quality wrench. To be accurate you must hold the handle in the proper location and use a smooth, motion. Choking up on the handle and/or jerking the wrench will give very inaccurate readings. I see very few people properly use them when just torquing the lugnuts on their car. Technique is key to consistency and that is yhe whole point of using a precision tool. Otherwise just use an adjustable end wrench ( Crescent® wrench) commonly used description.

One nice feature of the beam type torque wrenches is that they don't go out of calibration. If they are initially accurate, they will stay accurate. The micrometer type ones can require calibration over time. For my micrometer type torque wrenches, I always back the adjustment all the way off so the internal spring is not under a load. I expect this will greatly increase the time before I need to calibrate them. I may just buy a good quality beam type to use as a calibration standard. Cheers!

I am surprised a transmission tech hasn't responded with his favorite wrench.

I have a brand new Proto J6064A I will ship to you for $100.00. ($75.00 + $25.00 shipping) It is a 3/8" drive with a 40-200 in/lb. The list price on them is over $250.00 but I ended up with 2 of them. This one has never been used. PM me If interested,

100_9590.JPG 100_9591.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back