• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

info on hemi block photo's ??

shag766

Local time
9:39 PM
Reaction score
going through some old photo's this morning and found these. there from the hemi engine i put in the coronet. the one is self explanatory but the one of the tag has something to say but what. thnx;:eusa_think:

sorry the tag one is a little fuzzy, i will try again if needed

Attachments

• more recentcars 056.jpg
    more recentcars 056.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 180
  • more recentcars 060.jpg
    more recentcars 060.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
wowser, if this has some of the guys on here stumped what chance do i have. who would of thunk it?

Im not sure but that tag sat on short block warranty engines and same if you bought an engine from the dealer as a short block.
Sven

Im not sure but that tag sat on short block warranty engines and same if you bought an engine from the dealer as a short block.
Sven

That is nearly correct.

That tag indicates a SERVICE engine. They were used by the Corporation for warranty replacement or they were sold over the counter as parts. They were available in different forms such as bare blocks, short blocks or long blocks. I believe the stamped number in the tag related to possibly what the assembly actually was.

The second picture is the casting date the day the engine block was cast.

The engine should also have on the top deck near the distributor (big block) the CID, the assembly date, if HP it will be marked and if second shift it will say 2. It will not have a year alpha designation near the CID in most cases. and will often have an S for service engine. There are exceptions to the alpha designation as at the end of the model year run when they shut down the plant for model change over the unused engines that were already stamped for the previous model years use had to leave the assembly plants and would have then become service parts inventory

Auto Transport Service
Back