• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

!@#$ing spotwelds

72Fourspeed

Local time
1:33 PM
Reaction score
Are worse than any other "it" work I`ve had to do. Man these things are like rabbitts. I swear they are multiplying faster than I can drill them. I don`t think I want to know how many are in the inner panels, it`s depressing ! Don.

When you really think about it, the spotweld cutter is really asked to do an unforgiving job! A very small part of me wishes I would have kept an accurate count of how many I drilled out on the "JUNKYARD DOG".

I hear ya, I just finished putting full floor pans and trunk pans in a 65 cheby at work. not fun at all, and I wore out 4 snap on drill bits that were supposed to be "long lasting" and they wont warranty a dull bit, only a broke one, so I chucked them up in the vise and broke the tips off with a hammer. so when the snap on guy comes by next week I'll get some new ones, lol.

I would not recommend the Harbor Freight spotweld cutter, I like my plunger style Matco ones I don't like the drill bit style.

X2 on the harbor freitght!! We've had this discussion on here before. Pretty sure that if you restored a car here in the rustbelt using harbor frieght tools you would end up spending more and waisting more resources, time and energy(not to mention being one pissed off person) then if you just bought the name brand stuff in the beginning and for spot weld cutters< that name would be BLAIR!!!

X2 on the harbor freitght!! We've had this discussion on here before. Pretty sure that if you restored a car here in the rustbelt using harbor frieght tools you would end up spending more and waisting more resources, time and energy(not to mention being one pissed off person) then if you just bought the name brand stuff in the beginning and for spot weld cutters< that name would be BLAIR!!!

X3......Well Put Matt!

#1 rule with tools..........Y O U - G E T - W H A T - Y O U - P A Y - F O R !

Along with all the bitching and wasted time/money, you can also look forward to more busted knuckles and a healthy collection of band-aids all over your extremities.

Iv'e never heard of a spot weld cutter, am I missing something? I just use a drill and a drill bit of the approximate size of the weld, drill through the first piece of metal, not all the way through, then break the metal apart with a chisel and hammer. is there an easier way?

don't spare the cutting fluid when you use any type/brand of spotweld cutting bit, use it copiously, it cuts the heat down, and preserves the cutting edges; even the cheap HF ones last a LONG time this way.

Your Right! HF,, I have a couple Gauge test tools, I don't know if there reliable yet but as far any other tools they aren't worth shipping charges.

Ashamed to admit this but I've drilled through most of the welds all the way through. Rookie stupid mistake. Not much experience with this but, that's how you learn I guess. So now I will get experience at welding holes before I put new panel on.

Auto Transport Service
Back