• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Input on Plasma Cutter

Propwash

Local time
3:38 PM
Reaction score
Guys,

Now that I have 90% of the metal work done on my current project car I decided to buy a Plasma Cutter...Brilliant! Anyways, with my job I spend a lot a time around welder's, fabricator's and machine shops and have been picking their brains on plasma cutters, but being in an industrial field most of their equipment is wayyyyyy overkill for what i'll be using it for in my garage with cars.

I've been eyeing these up thus far

-Hypertherm Powermax 30
-Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 39
-Miller Spectrum 375

Like I said, this unit will pretty much be automotive duty. I'm a pretty a true believer (in most cases) you get what you pay for with tools. I'm not interested in any ebay $500-$600 chinese specials or harbor freight train wrecks. These units go for $1100-$1400 and seem they have pretty good reviews.

Anyone have any dealings with any of these cutter's in the past? Any other unit's in the same class that deserve a look? Pro's and con's of either or?

Thanks for any input......

i have the powermax 30 that i bartered my way into. self teaching myself on use with some help from a couple of fab buddies who say the hypertherm is perfect for auto uses and it is a quality product.
keep in mind that i am an amature with todays tools. 30-40 years ago
stick welder and torch's were the norm. i find the cleanest cut is a
zippy cut but hard to get into some places. hence the plasma.

Appreciate the imput shag766! I've heard nothing but good things about the Hypertherm. Kind of why it's at the top of my list. Good to hear you're happy with yours and you also had positive feedback on it..

Thanks for responding.

I have a TD Cutmaster 51. I really like it. Got it from one of the Ebay stores, no tax and free shipping. Cost around 1500 but that was a few years ago. I see them on Craigslist from time to time...

Methinks Prop is setting up the pre-justification for the next project. "But honey, I already have the plasma cutter..."

I have used the miller spectrum with great sucesss.
thats my plasma cutter of choice.

I have a TD Cutmaster 51. I really like it. Got it from one of the Ebay stores, no tax and free shipping. Cost around 1500 but that was a few years ago. I see them on Craigslist from time to time...

I've seen that unit in the field before Cranky. Mostly in tank or pressure vessel fabrication. Guys are pretty happy with them like yourself. They actually don't make that unit anymore. They have the 52 now. With a 1/2" thickness recommended cut, it might be a bit more than I need for automotive applications. Weighing in at about 45 lbs and requiring 220 volts would make it less mobile as well. I have 220 in my garage, but spend a lot of time helping other buddies out with metal work that don't. Good to know that you are happy with the Thermal Dynamics name......Thanks for your imput buddy.

Methinks Prop is setting up the pre-justification for the next project. "But honey, I already have the plasma cutter..."

:thumbsup: LOL!!! I see you can easily identify my ulterior motives.....Thank god the ol' lady can't! :eusa_shhh:

I have used the miller spectrum with great sucesss.
thats my plasma cutter of choice.

Good to hear Superstockracer! Miller is my welder of choice and are actually made not too far down the road from me...

Kind of got me at a conundrum here......Good feedback on all three brands on here...Ummmm should I draw straws or something?? LOL

Fella's..........

Decided to go with the Hypertherm..It will be here Thursday. I'll be sure to give you my scoop on it as well as show some carnage!!! Thanks for the replies!

good for you

Fella's..........

Decided to go with the Hypertherm..It will be here Thursday. I'll be sure to give you my scoop on it as well as show some carnage!!! Thanks for the replies!

good for you buddie. keep us posted. get into your scrap pile with different thickness and play.

Will do shag!! Super excited to see what she can do. Might have to hold a retirement party for the Air shears and dry dock the body saw.

On the 220 issue.....I have never been really happy with machines that run on 110. Even my old Powermatic belt/disc sander dims the lights when I flip it on. Been thinking about setting it back up for 220. Also, most everyone down here has an electric dryer connection and I have an adapter plug for the 30 amp wall plug if I ever need to take my junk somewhere or throw my generator on the truck but for the most part, I haven't had the need to do that....

right

On the 220 issue.....I have never been really happy with machines that run on 110. Even my old Powermatic belt/disc sander dims the lights when I flip it on. Been thinking about setting it back up for 220. Also, most everyone down here has an electric dryer connection and I have an adapter plug for the 30 amp wall plug if I ever need to take my junk somewhere or throw my generator on the truck but for the most part, I haven't had the need to do that....

i agree cranky; i have a 220 plug at each end of the 50 ft. shop with a 50 ft.
220 extension cord. with 220 you get more umph and no blowing breakers. also you get the odd person who wants to borrow something but no 220.

also you get the odd person who wants to borrow something but no 220.
I almost typed that same sentence lol. One of my so called buddies moved about 75 miles away and all that crap stopped. It's funny how he always made more per year than I did but never had anything to his name....

The nice thing with the Hypertherm is it has a automatic inverter where I can run either 110 or 220. Just a matter of tossing on a plug adapter. I also have a devilbiss dessicant air/oil filter w/regulator to toss on the back when the need calls for me to use someone else's compressor and doesn't have dry air like me. It doesn't really need a regulator seeing that is built in as well.

I have 200AMP service in my garage any really don't have any issues with my 110volt tools/equipment or Miller MIG welder-ESAB stick. Most of the 110V Milwaukee, Bosch, Rigid tools I have are a force to be reckoned with. The compressor is 220V and runs of its own circut. Keep in mind this is my garage and not a shop like you guys may be running.

I figured 40% duty cycle at 120V really blows the other units listed out of the water for its class. 1/4" recommended cut with fine cut plasma technology, seems like a good choice. For autobody, all other reviews online pointed towards the Hypertherm. Hoping for the best!

I wanted something that could do more than 1/4" since I do some heavy work from time to time. It still cuts sheet metal pretty good tho. Need a good steady hand still lol. My shop is 100 amp service with 3 220 drops...one at the front, one in the middle where my compressor is and one at the rear overhead door. I don't have a separate circuit for the compressor tho but there's no problem with the plasma and the compressor running at the same time.....and that's about all that is run at the same time with the 220. My lathe and mill are 3 phase 220 and run off of a converter on they're own circuit. It isn't very often that the lathe and the mill run at the same time along with the compressor since I'm a one man band but it has happened a few times over the years....

Sounds like a nice outfit Cranky....Wish I had that kind of space to have more power options and equipment.Ahhhhh Someday..........

My work space is what realator's call "cozy"...LOL

Forgot to ask you guys.......Do I need to wear a welding helmet while cutting with a plasma or it there some more low key type shaded safety glasses I can use?

I generally wear a hood with the lowest setting an then it's still kinda dark but shaded wrap around safety glasses are not quite dark enough.....so I still need to get something that's just right. And the bigger the shop is, the more junk you collect so mine can still be called cozy. I was just out there getting some info on some parts and got snagged on something then walked into a weed eater that's hanging from the rafter lol. I have just under 1500 square feet but it has 3 vehicles in it and all this other 'stuff'.....

Auto Transport Service
Back