• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Instal Console or Dash First 66 Coronet 500

SassyPants

Local time
10:58 AM
Reaction score
Hi Team,

Well, getting along on the restoration of the 66 Coronet 500, convert, 4 Spd. Have the carpet installed. Sooooo, Console or Dash next?

Wish you folks the best. Please stay healthy.
B.

I would install the dash first. Console later. The Dash is more complicated and imagine having the console in your way from hooking up wires.. Its not fun.

I dunno ... feel confident enough not to drop the dash on the console ????

I would also recommend putting a blanket, rug or pillow over that front console bracket. About the time you don't you will hit your head on it and wish you would have.

If the windshield is out , put your dash together, put it into the car, upside down. Then connect all the wiring and cables where possible. Also have the defrost vents in place. Rotate the dash into place and bolt it in. Sure helps.

Look up the Post Dash Frame Installation, yesterday at 12:40 Lngbrdz. Will help you immensely. Should be under recent posts. It is there.

Thanks you very much. I will have my 5 gallon bucket ready to go when the time arrives to put in the dash.

Im new to,your coronet restoration.
What is the condition of the dash wire harness?. Are ALL the wires,Good.
Many restorations catch fire after completion.,from old cracked wire.
My 65 coronet. Had hard wires. I bought a southern 27k mile. Harness and it had 2 bad wires in it. I Did finally,find a reman harness avail. And it was made exact to factpry specs,

Hi,

When I completely did the interior of my 66 500 Convertible with an automatic transmission, the dashboard never came out and it was never in my way. So it is safe to say that the dashboard should go in first. I would’ve installed the dashboard even before the carpeting. Good luck with the restoration.

Well, getting along on the restoration of the 66 Coronet 500, convert, 4 Spd. Have the carpet installed. Sooooo, Console or Dash next?

Wish you folks the best. Please stay healthy.
B.[/QUOTE]

Hi Folks, in case you do not have two 5 gallon buckets sitting around, one can use a couple of Clothes Hangers to hold the dash in place. Of course, with the help of the

two bolts on the lower outsides. I will try to send a pic of what I am now using to show you. B.
IMG_4223.jpg

This still gives a feller room to work around the wires. I like the Buckets and towels or Moving blankets, but thought others might not have those handy. To answer the question on the solidness of the harness. I have Fingers Crossed. I did as much testing of Lights, Convert Top motor and such that I could, but I guess one never knows for certain. So, as I say, Fingers Crossed. Thanks again for everyone's help. You folks are GREAT! By the way, anyone see anything that I have screwed up so far?

Auto Transport Service
Back