• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Installing a roof clip

Montclaire

Local time
6:25 PM
Reaction score
My 73 Charger needs a new roof. Looking at the factory parts book, the A pillar ends about three quarters of the way up, and there is a Y shaped piece that is welded on and then the header assembly.

I have a donor roof and was wondering if anyone has separated the pillar at that 3/4 mark and worked the new panel in like factory? My front header panel is shot but the rear looks ok. I also have localized rust damage (skin + structure) above the b-pillar area on both sides. Ideally I’d like to keep the rear header assembly on the car together and install the rear of the donor roof as a skin while welding the front in on the factory A pillar seam. I don’t really like the idea of cutting and splicing the A pillar like I’m chopping a 32 Ford.

Thoughts? Thanks

Last edited:
Well, I am not sure if the e-body and b-body A-pillars are constructed the same way. I'll have to check the parts book but I am pretty sure it showed the lower pillar and cowl side as an assembly for b-body.

I have to dig apart a front clip on a 71
as I have to change out a firewall, cowl top and kick panels on a car
when I looked
it appeared that the pillar connected to the kick panel
just above the upper door hinge area?
at least that was the area I was going to attack to get it apart
I will snap a few pics this weekend when I have the time to play with it some.

These are B's. Unless I read the book wrong, the A-pillar itself is the same for coupe/sedan. What's different is the piece that attaches at the top (where the sun visor would mount to - you can see the panel overlap on the pillar) and the header.

What I'd like to do is break it free at the overlap joint but that may be more trouble than it's worth. Would probably have to drill the drip rails (not reproduced) and I'm guessing the roof/pillar seam (exterior) is leaded.

20171201_151118-jpg.jpg

I get at what you are saying
you want to splice it in on the top of the A frame next to the header
I'm sure it could be done, but it sure wouldn't be the easy way to do it
as the parts are sandwiched in pretty good.
I know someone who replaced a rusty header on the roof
but they cut out and spliced in another donor header right about where the part in the pic is cut.

I'm guessing your donor part was cut thru the a frame
was it the yellow one in the back row at Carlisle?
I would try to do it if it was me as I will only splice as a last resort..

I didn't buy the yellow roof, I picked up another one a few years ago. It's cut through the pillars a few inches below the overlap joint and maybe 4-5 inches into the c-pillar.

I also have a good pair of A-pillars from a sedan if I need to use them, but they are too tall with the header attached. I won't know how bad mine are until I pull the windshield.

Third option I find another donor roof with full a-pillars. Or, if I do cut/splice the A's, I could probably slip a piece of tube in there so I get good penetration and don't create a shear point.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back