• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Installing bucket seats on a bench seat car

Jorge Zamora

Local time
1:40 PM
Reaction score
Hey everybody, soon I am going to complete my 4 speed swap in my 65 dodge coronet and at the same time I want to convert to bucket seats. A customer at my shop I work at removed his seats from his 66 coronet and installed his recaros he had and left me with his bucket seats. I believe they are original to the 66 and was wondering would they fit the 65 with no issues? I figure they will because it is still a b body and only a year difference but that's why I am here to ask. Also, I need the rails for the seats as he had to use them to install his new buckets in his car. So if anybody has a pair of rails that would mock up fine to a 66 bucket seat please let me know.
Im guessing the factory must've also drilled these holes for the bucket seats or at least marked them correct? I would just have to drill them out.
I am open to any information on this topic as I am learning from these forums, y'all always come in handy with all of the information.
Thanks, Jorge

Hey everybody, soon I am going to complete my 4 speed swap in my 65 dodge coronet and at the same time I want to convert to bucket seats. A customer at my shop I work at removed his seats from his 66 coronet and installed his recaros he had and left me with his bucket seats. I believe they are original to the 66 and was wondering would they fit the 65 with no issues? I figure they will because it is still a b body and only a year difference but that's why I am here to ask. Also, I need the rails for the seats as he had to use them to install his new buckets in his car. So if anybody has a pair of rails that would mock up fine to a 66 bucket seat please let me know.
Im guessing the factory must've also drilled these holes for the bucket seats or at least marked them correct? I would just have to drill them out.
I am open to any information on this topic as I am learning from these forums, y'all always come in handy with all of the information.
Thanks, Jorge
I think you'll have a problem installing them! Because the 64 & 66 have different floor pans!

On my '63 removing bench for buckets (mine were from a '64 so no fitment issues other than installing interior mounts) you may need to do fitting for locating the inside mounts for each seat and check how the exterior mounts (holes) align for proper location of the seat in cab, hopefully you can just use them as I did. For the seat bolts there are support mounts necessary for durable mounting. I got the original mount brackets (cut from a boned car) and welded them in as you see those exposed in photo. If no brackets, then you'd want to fabricate for mounting. I use large spring washers under the interior points under the car as they go thru the pan for added stability/safety.

20170701_080621.jpg

Hello Jorge, these are from my 66 Coronet. You can then see what yours looks like. Here we go with the pics, I will explain after the pics.

IMG_0498.jpeg IMG_4006.jpeg IMG_4162.jpeg IMG_4310.jpg IMG_4311.jpg

Jorge, again, this is a 66 Coronet. So on the first pic, if you blow it up you can see in the Front The seat holes. Obviously, this is before any body work. On the Second pic, you can see the floor pans before sound deadening and carpet. If you look at the left side, you can see there is one set of holes along near the Tunnel. Then to the outside of that, near the Rockers, you can see two holes each front and back. My guess is one is for Bench and the other for Buckets? Then on the second row of Pics, you can see the heads of Bolts that are "place holders" for the seat studs which are attached to the bottom of the rails. The other two pics are measurements for holes for the 66 Bucket Rails. They are, on centers, 13 by 11 inches apart. On the bottom side of the car, these holes are in into Braces to add strength to the floor pans where the seats attach. You might check your car to see where the Bolt Holes are and compare them to these on the 66. If you have any other questions or need any more pics, please let me know. Best, B.

Here is one more pic of the Floor before any work was done on the car. You can better see here the holes near the Tunnel and then the two sets of holes near the Rockers. Good luck.

IMG_0486.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back