• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Installed Promax modded Holleys, 6 pack fuel lines and Carter M6903 mech fuel pump

biomedtechguy

Accelerati Rapidus Maximus
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:22 PM
Reaction score
70 Roadrunner, V-code, 3/8ths" fuel line.
Current setup is hard fuel line from tank to 3/8ths rubber to fuel filter to 3/8ths rubber to hard line into fuel pump. Hard line out of pump to rubber line into vapor separator. Rubber return line from vapor separator back to tank. Rubber line to hard line to carb lines.
The Promax lower fuel line is designed to attach directly into the fuel pump. It incorporates a 40 micron fuel filter. That assembly attaches to the Promax carb lines.
?? If I bypass my vapor separator (remove it) what do I do with the return line? Plug it?
Also should I be able to eliminate the inline fuel filter before the fuel pump since the Promax lower fuel line has a 40 micron inline reusable fuel filter?
Screenshot_20180518-073836_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Also changing out fuel pump to the
:lowdown:Carter M6903
Any tricks to that other than 2 bolts?

1. If you bypass the return line, plug it off.
2. Leave the inline fuel filter. It will help your carb filters last longer by stopping all the big trash from getting to them.

Hope This helps

Also changing out fuel pump to the
:lowdown:Carter M6903
Any tricks to that other than 2 bolts?
When you remove the pump, most likely the actuator rod is going to drop down. There is plug in the block that takes a 5/16" allen key. Remove the plug, place the rod above the pump lever and install pump. Replace allen plug and tighten.

440+Fuel+Pump+#1.jpg

1. If you bypass the return line, plug it off.
2. Leave the inline fuel filter. It will help your carb filters last longer by stopping all the big trash from getting to them.

Hope This helps
The sock in the tank is supposed to do that. If anyone is having problems with big crud getting to the carb, let alone past their filter, this is the second place to check.
No one NEEDS to run a filter before the pump.

The sock in the tank is supposed to do that. If anyone is having problems with big crud getting to the carb, let alone past their filter, this is the second place to check.
No one NEEDS to run a filter before the pump.
I have to disagree with you Lionized. When running a mechanical pump, I would recommend an inline filter before the pump to keep the gunk from getting inside the pump. The more precaution, the better.

When you remove the pump, most likely the actuator rod is going to drop down. There is plug in the block that takes a 5/16" allen key. Remove the plug, place the rod above the pump lever and install pump. Replace allen plug and tighten.

View attachment 657201
:thumbsup::lowdown::lowdown::lowdown:Ironbuilt:thankyou:

Thanks for ALL of the replies!
Special thanks to Ironbuilt because of the picture. The "fuel pump rod" was a mysterious item I had only heard of, but never saw. The pic was a big help.
I can leave a fuel filter inline before the pump for now, until I talk with Promax and get their take. No big deal to remove it.
Also thanks for the info on the return line, I plugged it already, but I wanted to ask.
One last ? for now:
Does plugging the return line mean anything regarding the gas cap. IOW should I go with a vented cap now vs the stock cap?

:lowdown::lowdown: to all of my MOPAR brothers!

Your 70 should have a vent in the gas tank (at least mine does). One of the tiny little hoses coming off the small nipples on the fuel tank (driver side I believe) on the top/front will go to a 6" long piece of steel tubing that goes to nowhere. I think it has a crude "U" shape or something like that??? One small bracket/screw to hold it in place. That's the tank vent.

Your 70 should have a vent in the gas tank (at least mine does). One of the tiny little hoses coming off the small nipples on the fuel tank (driver side I believe) on the top/front will go to a 6" long piece of steel tubing that goes to nowhere. I think it has a crude "U" shape or something like that??? One small bracket/screw to hold it in place. That's the tank vent.
Thanks PB. So plugging the return line should NOT change the requirements for the fuel tank cap because the tank is still vented is what I'm getting from that.
Ok! Out to the garage and pix will follow today or tonight.

Fuel pump changed. I was blessed, pushrod stayed back, so I was able to angle the pump lever under the end of the rod, tighten the 2 bolts (easier w/Carter because there is more room for the socket to fit on the rear bolt head) and bam! Done. Now on to the fuel lines, carbs installed, linkage.....
20180923_134808.jpg

Old fuel pump had a male nipple the rubber line slipped over. Carter pump has female 1/4?" threaded inlet, so Home Depot to the rescue!
20180923_142526.jpg

I used to have 6 pack abs long ago, (long gone), does that count?

Auto Transport Service
Back