• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Installing spark plug wires

dodge68charger

Local time
4:40 AM
Reaction score
When i got my engine back from the builder it came with no spark plug wires. The engine hasnt been rotated since i got it back. Whats the correct procedure to go about putting theplug wires on. Do i go off the rotor? There was a number 1 marked on the cap but im not sure how accurate it is.

- - - Updated - - -

If i put # 1 cylinder to tdc to i have to time the engine again? Thanks

Was engine ran/dyno'd? If so, you shouldn't need to retime it, but you do need to be sure wires go in right spots. How sure can you be the No 1 marking on dist cap is truly meant to be No 1? Perhaps the builder was nice and marked it for you to make your life easy. I'd still double check by finding TDC and where the rotor button is will tell you if the cap mark is No 1 or not. If engine wasn't run already, then dist position was a guess by builder and you will need to determine TDC to check dist cap mark and you will also need check timing on start up.

How to find TDC -

Note - Crankshaft rotates at half the speed of distributor, and with engine turning correctly (clockwise facing balancer) on a small block the distributor turns CW, on a big block distributor turns CCW.

Remove all sparkplugs and rotate engine clockwise at balancer.

When the TDC mark on the balancer approaches zero mark on timing case you have a 50/50 chance of TDC being either the compression stroke or the exhaust stroke. You want to stop rotating engine at or a few defrees before TDC on compression stroke.

To know if it's the compression stroke TDC approaching, both valves on No. 1 cylinder (frontmost drivers side cyl) will be closed as TDC nears. (With no exh manifolds on engine or valve cover removed you can see exh valve closed and/or a helper can put finger over No.1 sparkplug hole as you approach TDC and they will feel air pressure as you turn.)
(If it's exh stroke, you can see exh valve is open and/or said helper will feel no pressure at sparkplug hole as you approach TDC. If so, turn crank another full revolution and bingo.)

Once sure you have TDC on compression stroke, dist rotor button will line up with dist cap tower for No 1 plug wire, then the rest of the wires follow firing order 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2, CW for SB and CCW for BB. The drivers side cylinders are numbered 1,3,5,7 front to back, passenger side 2,4,6,8 front to back.

If timing wasn't set previously on dyno, timing can be set roughly with balancer at TDC, loosening dist locking bolt and rotating dist body in opposite direction to normal rotor direction to where points just open or reluctor point just lines up with pick up (with rotor still in vicinity of No 1 plug wire on cap.)

Last edited:
If the builder knows what he is doing this is where it should always be, otherwise follow instructions above they are very good.

image.jpg

The cap only goes on the distributor two ways because of the cutouts. Assuming your builder knew what he/she was doing, and the timing is set correctly, the "1" on the cap should be facing the driver's side of the car when you put the cap on. Install your wires and see if she fires. If it doesn't fire, reverse the cap and see if they're 180 off. If that doesn't work, then do what 62 Dart wrote and find out where 1 really is.

The cap only goes on the distributor ONE way because of the cutouts. Assuming your builder knew what he/she was doing, and the timing is set correctly, the "1" on the cap should be facing the driver's side of the car when you put the cap on. Install your wires and see if she fires. If it doesn't fire, reverse the cap and see if they're 180 off. If that doesn't work, then do what 62 Dart wrote and find out where 1 really is.

Fixed it for ya!:blob1:

Awesome!! Thanks guys!! Those are awesome instructions!! The engine was rebuilt. I will confirm tdc when i get home to be sure.. Appreciate the help! Its been a while since i have done any of this stuff. Thank you!

See if I can do this, before getting timed out...this will only work for big blocks.

Another way to check timing. Of course, the dampner marking needs to be right.

Pull the distributor out. With that done, look down the hole, and you'll see on the opposite side of the motor (driver side) the first pushrod. That's exhaust for #1, with the one next to it on the same side, intake for #1.

Timing is set on #1 TDC COMPRESSION stroke. Rotating the engine, watch the intake pushrod/tappet. After it opens, continue to rotate, until it closes, and that tells you #1 piston is coming up to TDC compression stroke.
Then, a simple matter of bringing the timing mark to the initial timing set. Said and done, time to drop in the dizzy.

Auto Transport Service
Back