Installing the A833 transmission

Engine, Trans & Driveline

1. blue69runner

blue69runner Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    11:33 AM
    Just wanted to ask if it is better to put every thing on the transmission before installing it. Like the shifter and linkage. Or can you get to it and do this after installed in the car. Been a long time since I have put one in. Appreciate any info and help. blue69runner.

2. SassyPants

SassyPants Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    10:33 AM
    Blue69, I can only speak for our 66 Coronet. The first time was with the engine. That was the easy one. Then, as it turns out, got a bad clutch. So, second time, put it in with the shifter linkage, but that was it. CAUTION!! That dude is HEAVY. you need a trans jack if you are doing it from under side. Best, B.

• Like Like x 1

#41 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      8:33 AM
      If you are dropping them in vs. on the K from under, better to install the shifter after.

To simplify installation, set up the shifter and rods first while out of the car.

• Like Like x 1
      • R413

R413 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        8:33 AM
        If the engine is in the car then you can’t install the shifter on the trans because it will be hitting the trans crossmember before the trans is high enough to enter the clutch and bellhousing. You’ll have the wrong angle with the back of the trans too low.

install the trans to the bellhousing and then the shifter and rods.

I learned this the hard way when taking one out and it stopped when the shifter hit the crossmember, couldn’t lower it, still in the clutch and bellhousing.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
        • Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • blue69runner

blue69runner Well-Known Member

Local Time:
          I do remember cussing that transmission in our Duster. Putting the linkage and all on under the car was a pain for sure. But we would get her done. Like replacing the shifter bushing's. It is a good Idea to mock it up and that is good advice. Do remember putting some stud's in the bell housing to help put the trans. in for alinement. Put it in gear so could turn the tail shaft to mess the splines on the clutch. All good advice and appreciate the help. Yes have a trans. Jack and one for the bell housing. Wish I had a lift but maybe one day. Thanks guy's. blue69runner

• challenger_73

challenger_73 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
          If engine is in the car and you have a support under the engine, be sure the tranny is straight with the angle of the engine and splines are aligned or you will break your bearing retainer. This happened to me.

• 5.7 hemi

5.7 hemi FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
          10:33 AM
          Cut 2 5/8’s bolts (cut the heads off), now grind a slit into it. This will allow the bolts to be taken out after you get the top 2 in. Also helps align the input shaft when going in.

• Agree Agree x 1
          1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
            By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.