• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Installing the wrong steering box the right way

Paul_G

Local time
2:24 PM
Reaction score
I got a reman box for my 73 Charger from Advance Auto for $180. That is the cheapest I could find. I know, you get what you pay for, but realize the value of a 73 B body. I do not want to spend a ton on the car, I want it to be reliable, safe, and no leaks.

The box I saw pictured online was the correct box for the car. When I went to the store to get it, the steering box they had was nothing like the original. The counter guy did some checking and said it is the box for the car. He even called over to Oreilly and had his buddy look at one they sell. It looks just like the one he is selling.

Looking at the mounting holes it was really close to the old box, input shaft and output shaft in the right places. So he said take it home and try it, if it wont fit bring it back and he can have mine rebuilt. Problem is mine is a 72 box in the 73. The pitman arm is wobbly on the sector shaft. Smaller shaft on 71 and 72 boxes. And it binds up when turning. It is in bad shape inside.

You can see in the pictures how close it is to the original style box. To make it fit I had to egg shape one mounting hole, the single mounting hole on the left side, you can see it in the pics. And, the input shaft on the replacement box is 3/4" shorter than the original box. So I had to make 3/4" spacers and use longer bolts to attach the steering column coupler to the rag joint.

I am surprisingly pleased with the box. It is very tight, centers correctly, has no play when on center cruising down the road. It is not an exact replacement, I had to make some modifications to make it work, but it is a nice tight box.

20210901-083024.jpg

20210831-143608.jpg

20210831-143632.jpg

20210831-143617.jpg

I am surprisingly pleased with the box. It is very tight, centers correctly, has no play when on center cruising down the road. It is not an exact replacement, I had to make some modifications to make it work, but it is a nice tight box.

I prefer a nice tight box. Those loose sloppy ones aren't as fun to drive. :lol:

Here is more info on that reman box. It is sold by Cardone Part #97-6542GB. The tag on the steering box has part #10300022.

My 73 has the same style as your replacement box. I wonder if your 73 was assembled early and they were using up old stock or could a PO have installed the early box. My 71 had its box in the trunk when I got it and that box looks like the 73 unit. I just have not seen a box that looks like your 72s and am very curious .

So, you are driving it with the sloppy pitman arm on it? 73 and up uses a 1 1/4 shaft, 72 and down uses 1 1/8th shaft. If your pitman arm is loose, you need to change to a 72 and older arm.

Auto Transport Service
Back