• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Installing "Vintage Air" in 1970 RR

thank you for taking the time for making this. :thumbsup:

What radiator size are you using? Just had a Vintage Air System installed in my 70 RR (Factory A/C car) and does not have the correct radiator or a clutch fan and running hot in hot weather ion stop and go traffic. It has a 26" radiator now but does not have the mounting bracket for a shroud so need to replace that..not sure if I need a 3 or 4 core. Also need to get the correct clutch fan set-up (7 blade).
What are you using for a water pump?
Sorry for all the questions....just want to get it right the first time.

thanks

What radiator size are you using? Just had a Vintage Air System installed in my 70 RR (Factory A/C car) and does not have the correct radiator or a clutch fan and running hot in hot weather ion stop and go traffic. It has a 26" radiator now but does not have the mounting bracket for a shroud so need to replace that..not sure if I need a 3 or 4 core. Also need to get the correct clutch fan set-up (7 blade).
What are you using for a water pump?
Sorry for all the questions....just want to get it right the first time.

thanks
To be honest I've never started my car so don't know if it will get hot. I'm using a 3 core champion radiator with duel electric fans but my car is not stock - has a 5.7 late model motor.
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/5-7-hemi-engine-swap-on-70-rr-project.151252/

Sounds like your is a 383 or 440..
6131.JPG
6133.JPG
61313.JPG
rad1.JPG
rad2.JPG

Video documentation of Vintage Air system on 1970 RR conversion project. Hope it helps some.

Thanks for trying but vertical aspect video does not look good at all. I really wish that you had recorded it in a horizontal format.

I agree that the routing is stupid on the kit. The Condenser and Evaporator (and electronic dash control) are nice.
My car has an aftermarket accessory drive too that has its own A/C unit.
I am installing all this stuff before I get into re-doing the body and paint, so I will modify the system to go through the firewall inside the engine compartment, and make my own lines to fit.

I am installing the Classic Auto Air "Perfect Fit" setup.
The stuff seems nice but there are some snags to deal with that could have been handled better. Maybe an experienced A/C tech would breeze right through but it has had me stumped a few times. I am a Carpenter Framer, I'm used to blueprints dictating how something is supposed to look exactly. The instructions have drawings that are not accurate in scale or fit and position of vital components.
Of course, when I am working on the car here it is 2 hours later in Texas where their customer support is. They are leaving just as I am encountering troubles...

I am installing the Classic Auto Air "Perfect Fit" setup.
The stuff seems nice but there are some snags to deal with that could have been handled better. Maybe an experienced A/C tech would breeze right through but it has had me stumped a few times. I am a Carpenter Framer, I'm used to blueprints dictating how something is supposed to look exactly. The instructions have drawings that are not accurate in scale or fit and position of vital components.
Of course, when I am working on the car here it is 2 hours later in Texas where their customer support is. They are leaving just as I am encountering troubles...

Sounds "Cool"! Post some pictures and how the install is going. Just about all this aftermarket stuff really lacks in documentation.

Doing it wrong makes a person look incompetent. Your attitude sucks *** as well.

Doing it wrong makes a person look incompetent. Your attitude sucks *** as well.
You caught me at a bad moment (sorry about my attitude). I did this on my phone and really never did a video before, and am not an expert. Did it to try and help folks install a Vintage air - not much documentation out there. Good luck with your install - let me know if I can help..

I agree that the routing is stupid on the kit. The Condenser and Evaporator (and electronic dash control) are nice.
My car has an aftermarket accessory drive too that has its own A/C unit.
I am installing all this stuff before I get into re-doing the body and paint, so I will modify the system to go through the firewall inside the engine compartment, and make my own lines to fit.
I talked to the Vintage Air folks when doing my install and asked them why they didn't go through the fire wall. They told me they use to do it through the fire wall but customers wanted a different design, and that's why they designed the "sure fit" through the fender. They were good folks to deal with and I bet they still have the fire wall design, and maybe could build the hoses for existing evaporator. Might want to call them...

You caught me at a bad moment (sorry about my attitude). I did this on my phone and really never did a video before, and am not an expert. Did it to try and help folks install a Vintage air - not much documentation out there. Good luck with your install - let me know if I can help..

Thank you. I apologize as well.
Vertical video has annoyed me from the first time that I saw it. I always use horizontal format simply because it matches the traditional TV and movie screen image display.
You are right...info on these installations is scarce. I started a thread of my own on it, no video though.
Installing Classic Auto Air in a '70 Dodge Charger.

I talked to the Vintage Air folks when doing my install and asked them why they didn't go through the fire wall. They told me they use to do it through the fire wall but customers wanted a different design, and that's why they designed the "sure fit" through the fender. They were good folks to deal with and I bet they still have the fire wall design, and maybe could build the hoses for existing evaporator. Might want to call them...

I bought the Mastercool Crimper so I made my own hoses. Actually pretty easy to do, and the hose ends are not that expensive. I think the ends without the service port are about $5, and the ends with service port are about $15. Not sure how much the hose costs, but I don't think it is too expensive. On the price stuff, I am sort of comparing the cost to what I paid for -AN fittings and hose, which seems more expensive than the A/C stuff.
FWIW, I have the Billet Specialities Tru-Track serpentine belt drive system, and the compressor (SD-7) has a 90-degree outlet that locates the compressor connections down low by the passenger side frame rail.

I just got the CVF Wraptor serpentine belt system and it includes the AC compressor. Any idea how that affects the hoses? I also got the Vintage Air system from the same vendor, who raved about his tech support, so since he is providing both units, maybe that will help?

Auto Transport Service
Back