• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Instrument Cluster

old tired rebel

Local time
7:26 AM
Reaction score
I just got a instrument cluster From a friend in Canada with a factory Tach.
Is there any wiring I need to do to get the tach to work?

A couple of questions,
1) Did you get the complete cluster including the printed circuit board?
2) was the plug that goes in the board full of wires?
The reason I ask is there is a wire that has a connector on it that attaches to the negative side of the coil. From there it goes to the bulk head connector on the firewall in pin #35. On the in side it goes from the connector to pin 1 of the connector that plugs into the back of the instrument panel printed circuit board.

Yes here is a few pictures.

100_2810-600.gif

100_2812-600.gif

100_2813-600.gif

100_2814-600.gif

Ok it looks like you have what you need.
Your old set up will plug into the new set-up as all the plugs are the same. The only difference will be on the old plug set-up the 12 pin connector will have no wires on pins 1 and 6. Looking at the back of the unit Pin one has a grey wire in it on the plug that has the wires cut. It is the top left wire when you lay the unit down in front of you with the 12 pin plug on the left. There should be a dark blue wire directly across from it (that will be pin 12). You can run a wire directly from the - side of the coil or try pin 1 of the connector or try to run a wire from the - side of the coil to the firewall bulkhead connector (pin 35 is the one used in the factory set-up) and run a wire on the insde from the bulkhead connector to the dash 12 pin connector.
Either way you will probably have to run a wire from the coil in unless the factory was nice to you and ran the wires just in case. To check see if you have a gray wire on your current connector on the dash that goes to the firewall connector pin 35. Pin 35 is the one that when you look at the firewall in the engine compartment will be on the upper left. The connector has 8 row and 6 columns. You may get lucky here as well and the wire may be there and go to a connector that is not in use. It will also be a grey wire. Good luck and let me know if you need more info.

:toothy10:Awww, C'mon.
Everybody's entitled to a second opinion.....right? :toothy10:

Yea we all know about those,
They are like A-Holes, Everybody has one and most are full of chit:upside down:

LS I forgot to thank you I will be tearing into my dash this weekend

Your welcome. If you need diagrams I can probably put something together for you.

Hey, LS-300 you can make fun all you want. It's not my fault "old tired rebel"
asked/PMed me to explain your explanation to him!?
I own 9 Late B bodies and have changed a few dashes out for the tach
dashes. Just because your not the only one who know's these cars, doesn't
make anybody else who may know more, all A-holes! :jerk:

Wasn't there a member at Mopar Styles losing his car to a fire the way you did it?

Just for clarification, my A-Hole comment was in reference to the old adage about opinions. If you have never heard it I can understand the confusion.

As for you getting PMed for an explanation I'm glad you could help with that. I know I'm not the only person that has ever worked on these cars nor am I the most knowledgeable. I'm an enthusiast and enjoy owning and working on these and other cars. I don't do it for profit or personal gain. As for trying to help others I'm always willing to try. I also like to have a bit of humor in my life as sometimes we all need to smile and just laugh.

Oh yea, I hope the dash install went well.

Auto Transport Service
Back