• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Insulating the ceiling

Hilljack68

Local time
1:49 AM
Reaction score
I have applied my home-made lizard skin to (among other places) the ceiling of the car. Now I'm wondering if I should leave it as is, and put the headliner in... or do I need another insulation of some sort - Kilmat, original type padding, etc. Whatever I put up there, I don't want it to sag in the coming years. Anyone have any experience in this area? Thanks!

You’ll get varied opinions. There was a thread on this subject just about a week ago. I suggested no need - but others made good points on why you should use Dynamat or something similar while you have the headliner out. I didn’t because my headliner is factory and in perfect condition. Apparently it really helps to seal the cabin from the outside world in a noticeable way.

While on my way to the Power Tour several years ago, the wind turbulence tore my dry rotted head liner loose. I had to do a quick repair and taped it up, but had to pull some of the factory insulation loose to get the tape to stick. When I had the headliner replaced I brought some batting to replace it. The guy who did the job said he doesn't normally use it, but since I supplied it he used it. My wife got it for me from JoAnne Fabrics and said it was "crib batting", used for quilts. It'e been in for at least2 years and I've had no problems so far.

Looked something like this. I doubt it will be heavy enough to sag.
0000325_low-loft-polyester-batting-crib-size-45-x-60_550.jpg

I used dynamat too! I had bought this (picture) from Classic Industries, but never used it. The item was only $20, but if someone wants it, and pays for the ride (there lies the challenge), they can have it (91208).

37716F35-1A9F-43E0-B2ED-9E4B6BAE6E90.png

While on my way to the Power Tour several years ago, the wind turbulence tore my dry rotted head liner loose. I had to do a quick repair and taped it up, but had to pull some of the factory insulation loose to get the tape to stick. When I had the headliner replaced I brought some batting to replace it. The guy who did the job said he doesn't normally use it, but since I supplied it he used it. My wife got it for me from JoAnne Fabrics and said it was "crib batting", used for quilts. It'e been in for at least2 years and I've had no problems so far.

Looked something like this. I doubt it will be heavy enough to sag.
View attachment 765781
Used same thing been up there 20 years.

Not sure anymore but 3m 77 will work. If i were to do it today might use the blue denim insulation.

Thanks. I'll check out the batting first. I'm sure I'll be in Joann Fabrics soon; my wife is a frequent flyer there.

noidea.gif
I just supplied the batting. I did not do the insulation nor was there to watch it so I don't know what was used.

For sound insulation this is a great resource.

https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

The site is currently down but there is a lot of great information here about sound deadening. He walks you through understanding how sound is transmitted through the body and how to effectively attenuate it.

He does offer products for sale but he is not pushing any particular product or brand.

Probably overkill for most everyone who isn’t trying to get a really good sounding stereo (I’m certainly not) but he lays it out in plain English and you can pick and choose which types of products to consider based on what you’re trying to achieve.

Auto Transport Service
Back