• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interesting Color Film of Berlin, July 1945

pretty cool, especially in color

the Russian commies Stalin **** was just starting

Thanks RC. I spent 25 months in Germany in the early 70's courtesy of Uncle Sam. ruffcut

What a ruin! I was there twenty years later, still pock marks in the buildings from bullets and bomb blasts.

Looks like some parts of Oakland. Brits are lucky they don’t speak German. Today.

When my daughter went to Germany a few years ago I wanted her to ask in a loud voice at immigration if anyone had seen her uncle Irving Weinstein as we haven’t heard from him since 1941 but she chickened out. We don’t have an uncle by that name, I just wanted to see their reaction.

Incredible devastation. An old girlfriend (English by birth--beautiful blonde, great legs, classic Brit teeth:rolleyes:) showed me some photos once of London from her family's collection from just after the war.....it literally made me weep. We are so very fortunate that the war did not reach our mainland that way.

Thank You ! For sharing, That's Amazing......... My Father USArmy Was There & Told Me Snippets Of Things He Experienced , From Normandy , Battle Of The Bulge , Etc. Amazing Sacrifices ! I Cannot Imagine .........They Were All The Greatest Generation! Bless Their Hearts!
We Should Never Forget!!

Thanks for sharing this video - it is some great footage of Berlin right after the war. The devastation was complete. I could not see a single building that wasn't severely damaged.

I was amazed they were able to get the street trolly system operable in less than a year given all the other damage effecting the rail system. I remember seeing a film shot from a plane flying low over a bombed out German city in my German class in 10th grade. This could very well be the same one. Unbelievable devastation. It is impossible to consider what effort it took just to get the ruins out of the way so they could rebuild.

I was stationed in Berlin late 70s, early 80s. Amazing place. Lots ofBerlin stories. Lived surrounded by a wall for 3 years. We could see one of the guard towers down the street from where we lived.

The city was totally devastated however the German people are highly efficient and rebuilt. We would occasionally take trips into East Berlin and it was like going back in time to 1945. There were still craters in some of the vacant lots as well as pockets in the walls for small arms fire.

To this day they are still digging up bombs. When I was there there were drums of nerve gas that floated to the surface in one of the marshy ponds near Spandau prison.

F5597C58-12CC-4CEA-9B03-E7186C32047D.jpeg FE58CBA9-7A53-4739-944D-E6E0A64CF5DF.jpeg

You're right about the bombs. I remember my aunt saying that her entire apartment block was evacuated because a nearby excavation unearthed an unexploded bomb. After it was defused and disposed of, they were allowed back in. This was in the 1990s in Göttingen which had far less allied bombing raids against it.

You're right about the bombs. I remember my aunt saying that her entire apartment block was evacuated because a nearby excavation unearthed an unexploded bomb. After it was defused and disposed of, they were allowed back in. This was in the 1990s in Göttingen which had far less allied bombing raids against it.
Most were the British Tall Boys with delayed fuses. They were the early bunker busters. One bomb could take out several city blocks.

Must have been British bombs with Lucas wiring.

Auto Transport Service
Back