• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interior color change help

Charger Ted

Local time
8:35 AM
Reaction score
All,
I'm contemplating an interior color change to white. I am to talk to a guy tomorrow who paints interior panels. I know I would have to have the door panels, panels behind that, sail panels, seat backs and sides, trim strip above and below rear window and along top painted white. Other parts I am not sure of are the kick panels, sides of console, trim strip down sides of front window. I would like to stay original if I can. Would those pieces need painted as well?

Along with that, as I was looking at the interior I noticed a small gap in the top trim piece over the rear window dead in the middle. Is that normal or is there some little piece missing?

TIA
Charger Ted

Ted, hard to help you. What car ya got? I could guess a charger, they made chargers from 1966-1987. Then started up again in 2005.
Of course I knew, :). 66 Dodge Charger.

Some things. White interior: black carpet, kick panels.very bottom of inside door frame, headliner, console and top moulding on the back window. Yes you are missing a small piece that has a screw that goes through it.
This is what our 67 has. Haven’t looked at the seat bottom skirts, think they are white
Someone will correct this if I am writing, also someone will most likely add.
Good luck.

Go to my site, I have a white (pearl) interior. Carpet, console & headliner is black.
WP_20180509_001.jpg
S4019610.JPG
S4019613.JPG
S4019614.JPG
WP_20180520_007.jpg

http://www.retrorarities.com/ChargerPage.htm

Thank you. The pictures are very helpful. However, I saw the guy about painting my panels and he told me not to bother. His observation is that they had been treated by armor all for some time and that paint would not stick. He said in his experience there was nothing he could do, or would do. He did tell me that if i found the panels and everything and they had not be treated he would consider painting them for me. So I am back to square one as to what I want to do.
Thanks however
Charger Ted

Thank you. The pictures are very helpful. However, I saw the guy about painting my panels and he told me not to bother. His observation is that they had been treated by armor all for some time and that paint would not stick. He said in his experience there was nothing he could do, or would do. He did tell me that if i found the panels and everything and they had not be treated he would consider painting them for me. So I am back to square one as to what I want to do.
Thanks however
Charger Ted

His excuse of Armor-All is poor. The vinyl and hard panels can easily be cleaned of any substance that would prevent paint from adhering. What's his real reason for not taking the job? That's the question.

Yeah, that excuse doesn’t hold water. Clean them up with soap and water and a stiff brush and then wipe them down a couple times throughly with DuPont Prep-Sol and use an adhesion promoter and they will paint fine. I even used a stiff brush and lacquer thinner on my 67 GTX rear seat top piece because it had been painted previously and I was worried about too much buildup in the grain pattern and that cleaned up fine and painted out fine too. I’ve used SEM and PPG interior elastomeric paint and Bullseye adhesion promoter on several cars and have not had a single surface adhesion issue.

What I have found that works well is 2 fold. Scrubbing Bubbles WITHOUT bleach (there are several varieties), followed by vinegar.
Then a nice wash with soap and water ... you'll be set.

Auto Transport Service
Back