• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interior heating problem !

topfuel_gtx

Local time
1:16 AM
Reaction score
Hi mopar guys !

I need some advice about a heating problem, the heating button does not stay off and even half, I have the impression that the heating is always full, and it is very hot in the cabin after a few miles. I think a cable is blocked. and I hope we don’t have to disassemble the heating box.

thanks

IMG_6415.jpg

IMG_6417.jpg

IMG_6418.jpg

There's no valve in a '68/69/70.. heater hoses flow freely through the heater box to keep you toasty in the Summer..

As for the OFF / Heat / Def "slider" cable it is possible it's bound up. It just controls the door flapper as to where the air gets directed. The temperature slider opens a flapper to let air flow past the heater core... but that heater core is always engine temperature..

Last edited:
Hi, I think that you have a small problem with the adjustment of your heater control cable. Instead of me trying to explain how this is done, go to a website called Mymopar.com, https://www.mymopar.com/downloads/servicemanuals/1969_Charger_Coronet_Dart_Service_Manual.zip, there you can download the maintenance manual for the 1969 Dodge Charger. Even if this is not the problem,the manual will help you troubleshoot it. Go to Heating and air conditioning Chapter #24 It’s free.

Hope this helps
Azmoparboy

thanks guys but,

1. the "heat slider" does not control temperature, just open or close a flapper.
2. a service manual or a restoration book describe a heater box and that's all

So if I understood, there is no solution, it's the engine temperature ?

If you can't get it to stay in the OFF position then something is up with the cable IMHO. Also you should be able to regulate the temp. If it's just a blast furnace all the time, again, something wrong there.

The right slider is the fan switch

The slider on the left is for hot and cold temp. Move it to cold and you should be there.

off/heat/def is the selector for where the air comes out.
heat is the floor and the other 2 explain themselves.

if either of these two are not working right then you need to troubleshoot it. cables bound up, or there could be an obstruction inside the heater box not letting it move through the full travel.
Also the control panel sliders could be binding up, but not common.

Nice 4 speed GTX with burgundy interior!

422D46BF-B553-46E3-BF58-AF9C9C21C297.jpeg

C37D06D8-4AEA-4C01-8608-25F1624FC409.jpeg

There's no valve in a '68/69/70.. heater hoses flow freely through the heater box to keep you toasty in the Summer..

As for the OFF / Heat / Def "slider" cable it is possible it's bound up. It just controls the door flapper as to where the air gets directed. The temperature slider opens a flapper to let air flow past the heater core... but that heater core is always engine temperature..
Then a air door is stuck open?

Probably based on where his slider is positioned. But even in a perfectly working box.. OFF and full COLD they still throw a lot of heat into the cabin.
My Dart had problems with the cables. Took a bunch of cuss words to get it fixed. I still feel like the heat is on all the time. Maybe this is the problem with the OP? I'm considering a cutoff valve in the engine compartment.

66-70 b body has no vacuum controls on the heater only system. None. Zero. It’s all cables.

Why do I remember seeing a vacuum controlled pot in these later year cars something does not sound right

later year? they are 52 years old now.

Did or would you consider installing a manual shut off or bypass valve in the hoses under the hood? Easy to do! Sorry, I didn't see entry #12 above.

Another Solution - That "temp" push/pull button to the left is also connected to a cable. That cable ends up just above the passenger's right foot. It has a tiny loop on the end of the cable & that loop attaches to a "L" pencil-thin piece of metal (a little lever) coming out of the heater box. Move that lever by hand. It goes up/down about 3" or so. One direction is "hot" the other direction is "cold". I bet that cable is bound up too. That'll take care of your hot interior problem

thank you guys I appreciate your help,

The right slider is the fan switch

The slider on the left is for hot and cold temp. Move it to cold and you should be there.

off/heat/def is the selector for where the air comes out.
heat is the floor and the other 2 explain themselves.

if either of these two are not working right then you need to troubleshoot it. cables bound up, or there could be an obstruction inside the heater box not letting it move through the full travel.
Also the control panel sliders could be binding up, but not common.

Nice 4 speed GTX with burgundy interior!

View attachment 1371721

View attachment 1371722

nice post :thumbsup:

So, Cold is IN or OUT ? Im cold here ?

IMG_6422.jpg

Another Solution - That "temp" push/pull button to the left is also connected to a cable. That cable ends up just above the passenger's right foot. It has a tiny loop on the end of the cable & that loop attaches to a "L" pencil-thin piece of metal (a little lever) coming out of the heater box. Move that lever by hand. It goes up/down about 3" or so. One direction is "hot" the other direction is "cold". I bet that cable is bound up too. That'll take care of your hot interior problem

If you mean this, its closed

IMG_6419.jpg

Cable looks pretty rusty. You could pull it off the leaver and Zipp tie it in the closed position temporarily.

If you mean this, its closed

View attachment 1372012
That is the vent control, has virtually nothing to do with heat control. its simply there to draw air from the interior or thru the cowl vent

The heater ( aka blend air ) air door is on top of the box and to the right of the blower motor resistor

If you cant control outlet temps you have either a frozen control cable or an obstruction inside the box

heater=box.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back