• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interior input: late model swap or upholster?

TX73SE

Local time
10:40 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys

Fixing up a 1973 charger SE

I’d love your input on which option would be best

1. reupholster the bench with bucket seat back.

2. Reupholster the bucket seats pictured.

3. Buy late model charger seats shown.

The late model seats area little dirty i. The pics but I’ve been assured by the seller no damage.
The others you can see the condition

they’d need reupholstered.

thanks for your thoughts.

CA76278F-6690-446A-8BA6-BC7ACF1860F7.jpeg AB7C5CCB-0715-4CE6-9B2B-B88B6B8A9987.jpeg A6EA06DE-6375-42E3-A067-9CFEF71912CB.jpeg 751BBDAC-6629-48E9-B658-FFCD5A577172.jpeg

I would keep it stock and simply reupholster the bench to factory specs.
But im also a fan of bench seats.

What i certainly would not do is dropping in modern seats.

To each his own, IMHO I don't like the bench seats, but putting a bucket seats to make them look good you need the center console or made one.

None of those seats look great tbh.
I got 2010 SRT8 charger seats and I love them.
watch around on craigslist/marketplace for them, they are worth the wait.
These are mine going in my '67 charger:
KIMG0696.JPG
KIMG0697.JPG

Depends on what's more important to you. I have a bench seat now which I reupholstered myself. I do like bench seats a lot for commuter and distance driving because they are comfortable. I'm putting Procar buckets in soon because I slide around to much on the bench when I take the car out for an extended drive.

I'm still keeping the bench though.

I got a set of pro car bucket seat's. They recline and have lumbar support. Like the side bolster so you stay put in the seat. Putting center console in in steed of floor shifter. Just my thought's. Building this car as if I ordered it that way. Old enough I don't need my girl right up beside me. LOL. It's:thumbsup: your car so build away. Blue.

I thought about those, but to me they look too much like a chevy seat:
View attachment 1006359

For something that looks good in a late 60's muscle car that doesn't break the bank it works for me, with a humphugger console even better. Once I get a 4 point harness in it should be a lot of fun so I can take more advantage of how my car is setup. I didn't want excessive bolstering to overly hinder entry and exit.

I can see a similarly to the Chevy seats but the Procar seats look better to me.

That bench sucks.
I like the factory buckets but I like the modern seats....but I like what just came in.
They seem to have just enough bolster to work well.
Do it! Its your car. If ya don't like em you have options in hand.

Modern seat in a classic looks goofy.
Period correct bench or buckets is the way to go!

...Plus modern Charger/Challenger seats tend to sit too high and don't look right. Look for a convertible car if you want a shoulder belt. I have heard of guys using Chrysler Sebring convert seats. I have the factory buckets in my 72 Satty. Super comfortable but lack side bolstering. Currently looking for something with ventilated buckets seats and bolstering to replace. My interior gets super hot being black with a black vinyl roof. The SRT Neon seats are a nice option too. Good luck.

Your the only one who can make this call but myself I'd take the modern seats. My only beef with modern seats it's having front seats that don't look like they belong. Here's mine, all modern seats, front and rear but I had everything upholstered with a 60's vibe.
20150524_174450.jpg
20150524_174442.jpg

Guys I appreciate the feedback. One other factor is I’m 6’6” and 300+ so head clearance and seat adjustability is a factor.

I had a 73 mustang before this project and part of the reason (besides owning a 74 charger in the past) I upgraded projects was the longer body had a better chance of housing my large frame comfortably.

Your the only one who can make this call but myself I'd take the modern seats. My only beef with modern seats it's having front seats that don't look like they belong. Here's mine, all modern seats, front and rear but I had everything upholstered with a 60's vibe.View attachment 1006818 View attachment 1006817

like the way your car looks with that interior!

Put the factory bench in after you get it reupholstered of course.

Don't fall into the bucket seat trap unless your car came equipped with them. If you do now you have to make the front buckets match the rear bench or it will look like crap. My 2¢

Modern seat in a classic looks goofy.
Period correct bench or buckets is the way to go!
First of all, it is what you want. But you asked. When I go to a car show and see aftermarket sport seats in a classic, My first thought is why? Classics are getting harder to come by each day. Keep them original or add original seats. My 72 Satellite had Cordoba seats in it. So stupid looking. I worked and came up with correct buckets. Took me awhile but now I love it. You can not tell.
Interior.jpg
Interior.jpg

original seats are SOOOO COMFORTABLE!!!!

the only drawback on them is they are not adjustable for the back angle which sometimes would be greatefull... but still comfortable.

Auto Transport Service
Back