• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interior texture paint?

YY1

Local time
1:37 AM
Reaction score
My cassette recorder pod had a CB mic holder and some sort of toggle switch bank bolted and trim taped to it.

I'm pretty sure I can use JB Weld lite to fill the holes, but when I removed the trim tape, the texture came off.

I was surprised, as I thought the plastic was textured. Apparently it was textured paint.

Anyone know of a textured spray paint that's close to the factory texture?

I have some Rustoleoum "fine texture", but it's too fine and doesn't build up.

I'm not sure on the textured paint, but you have the right idea.....spray out some various textured paints to see how they look first.

KEY POINT - JB Weld (& most spray paints) won't stick to plastic. To fill those holes, you'll need a mercaptan-based epoxy (not "regular" epoxy like JB Weld) & they sell it in "dual tubes" at auto parts stores. That type will stick to/fill most plastics. The downside is that they react VERY quickly so I think you're only options will be 1-minute or 10-minute versions at the parts stores. The less you mix up at once, the longer you have to work with it before it sets up solid....so maybe just mix "one hole's worth" at a time, be prepared to use it before you mix it up, then mix the little dab of the 2-parts with a toothpick and use immediately.

Paint is a similar situation & MOST won't stick to plastic. There are "some" spray paints that DO stick to most plastics, but you'll have to look around. I'm betting that finding a "textured & sticks to plastic" paint might be a little tough. Maybe you could look on Eastwood's website or try Seymour paint (in Sycamore, IL). Another option would be to find a "regular" textured spray paint that looks right & coat the part first with a "bond coat" of some type. That's basically how plastic bumpers are painted. You have to apply a "bond coat" to the plastic parts first & then the normal body-color paint can be applied on the whole car.

The JB Weld container says it works on plastic.

I also have an adhesion promoter, but the paint also says for plastic.

I did find a coarser textured Rustoleum spray at Rural King.

RK has a HUGE selection of paint, and has several colors that I need to compare to one of my kick panels.

Try dusting the rattle can paint on from a distance (12" or better) in light coats. The paint dries on the way to the part and lays down grainy.

you could try paintable chip guard that is used on the lower portion of newer cars, then paint over it

there are several brands available

rd-clear-aerosol-paint-texture-sem-39803-car-truck-spray-can-gun-paintable-bed-hood-rocker-panel.jpg

SEM makes a texture spray that you can cover with the paint color of your choice.

both the coarse and fine rustoleum just look like sand.

The texture on the pod is almost but not exactly the same as the door and kick panels.

Almost looks like knock-down plaster, only tiny.

I'll check out the SEM.

I've got some 72/73 "dark green" on the way from Herbs.

Kind of wish Herb would use the Mopar color codes (like F6)

Use the sem.

I had decent luck with trunk spatter paint and color over it. Used the smaller spatter.

I'm not sure on the textured paint, but you have the right idea.....spray out some various textured paints to see how they look first.

KEY POINT - JB Weld (& most spray paints) won't stick to plastic. To fill those holes, you'll need a mercaptan-based epoxy (not "regular" epoxy like JB Weld) & they sell it in "dual tubes" at auto parts stores. That type will stick to/fill most plastics. The downside is that they react VERY quickly so I think you're only options will be 1-minute or 10-minute versions at the parts stores. The less you mix up at once, the longer you have to work with it before it sets up solid....so maybe just mix "one hole's worth" at a time, be prepared to use it before you mix it up, then mix the little dab of the 2-parts with a toothpick and use immediately.
Screenshot_20170708-135721.jpg

I use a nail to mix and apply.
Don't let it touch your skin.
It puts off nasty fumes until dry.
Napa, O'Reillys, ect carries several brands

I thought the Herb's was expensive at $18 and $11 to ship.

The SEM texture is $29 before shipping.

I'd love to see a pic if someone's used the SEM.

Was searching for something else, and this thread came up.

Update-

I ended up using the JB Weld, but never did find a texture I was happy with.

What I did was use blue painters tape to back the holes I filled, and that impressed a slight texture into the epoxy.
It's not perfect, but it's not baby butt smooth. Not very noticeable from the front seats.

Been a couple of years and no cracks. Holding up well.

Last edited:
Whoops, victimized by an old thread ... Never mind.

Just an idea, but have you considered trying to form the texture into the plastic itself rather than trying to achieve texture through paint?

I've used little cosmetic sponges as "texture makers" in the final layers of metal filler that looks like cast aluminum when it's coated.

Whoops, victimized by an old thread ... Never mind.

Just an idea, but have you considered trying to form the texture into the plastic itself rather than trying to achieve texture through paint?

I've used little cosmetic sponges as "texture makers" in the final layers of metal filler that looks like cast aluminum when it's coated.

That's exactly what I did with the adhesive side of the masking tape.

Not great but better than no texture.

SEM makes a texture spray that you can cover with the paint color of your choice.
:thumbsup: I’ve used this on consoles, seat backs, etc. It works very well. You can control the texture size by distance between the can and object. I usually lightly sand it before painting to flatten the peaks and make it look like molded texturing but it depends on what you are matching.

IMG_0457.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back