• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interior wall questions

Dakar Timm

Local time
6:54 AM
Reaction score
We are nearing completion of an additon to our barn. Seems The 2021 Scat pak is taking up winter residence in the garage ,so the Coronet will hibernate in the addition.
As of now I only have OSB up on the interior walls . If I paint the walls is there a better color for seeing imperfections ? Am I better off with a high gloss or a flat or matte look ?
I'm thinking 48" LED lights as they aren't sensitive to cold . Thanks

66E58F76-AA65-4A56-8D97-C3E86BC08DEC.jpeg

0D80F592-5434-4A55-829F-00DF895D33DD.jpeg

Last edited:
paint lab light booths are painted in a special shade of gray. You can look it up

My shops are white with the 48" LED lighting - works great.
I'm in northern Idaho, so my shops are insulated & heated, which I highly recommend.

A flat paint will hide imperfections but it marks easily and is tough to clean. OSB, because of its rough surface, will gather and hold dirt, dust and anything else that it comes in contact with. Bin there , dun that !!

I had my shop drywalled for the same reason @Stanton mentioned about the rough surface of the OSB or plywood. Yes it's not quite as durable, but easy to repair and repaint, white on the ceiling and a light tan on the walls. As for lighting I went with 12 - T8 8' fluorescent lights, 3 rows of 4 on my 32W x 48L shop, with easch bank on it's own switch so depending on what I'm doing in the shop I can run whatever level of light that I need.

If I were doing lights in my shop again, I'd put in a ton of the round flush LED's. There's no surface for dust to cover, nothing hanging to be hit and broken, they're cheap to buy, a breeze to install and cost nothing to run - just put the whole shop on one switch. Light 'er up !! I'm actually thinking of installing a few at knee or waist height in the walls !

If I were doing lights in my shop again, I'd put in a ton of the round flush LED's. There's no surface for dust to cover, nothing hanging to be hit and broken, they're cheap to buy, a breeze to install and cost nothing to run - just put the whole shop on one switch. Light 'er up !! I'm actually thinking of installing a few at knee or waist height in the walls !

Do you have a link to the ones you mentioned? Curious to what they look like and how they might work as an upgrade in my shop.

These are at Home Depot and are 4" units but they also come in 6". They are so thin that you can install them in 1/2" drywall under a joist and they still sit flush. No junction boxes needed because the transformer box serves that purpose. Current draw is so low you can put a couple dozen on a single circuit You can get them for much cheaper on Amazon. And FWIW ... they are ALL made in China !

We always painted the inside of our mechanical rooms and storage rooms. The light reflective qualities of the paint was important in any space where people were working. We always used a light color of gloss paint. We specified epoxy paint for chemical resistance and its ability to be cleaned.

Another plus to drywall is fire resistance, something in there catches fire and you're a whole lot less likely to burn down the entire building.
Living in Michigan I also felt insulation was important.

Auto Transport Service
Back