• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

International (parts) shipping? Help a newb out?

SattyNoCar

Local time
6:12 AM
Reaction score
I'm trying to help out member kracher as I have parts he needs, BUT he's in Germany and I'm in TX.

I've shipped plenty of parts, but never out of country.

I have FedEx and UPS readily available (I don't like UPS, but will use them if needed)

I plugged the info into the FedEx site and came up with almost $400. About fell outta my chair!

I tried the UPS site, and couldn't get the site to take the info (not surprised).

Any tips, tricks, suggestions?

At this point, I'm more concerned with getting the parts to him in a timely manor, than financial gain on my end.

Thanks!

How big is the package or parcel?

Can you use a Postal service, or is it a freight job?

Used USPS $75 to Croatia near Italy. Took 2 months to get there.

I'm trying to help out member kracher as I have parts he needs, BUT he's in Germany and I'm in TX.

I've shipped plenty of parts, but never out of country.

I have FedEx and UPS readily available (I don't like UPS, but will use them if needed)

I plugged the info into the FedEx site and came up with almost $400. About fell outta my chair!

I tried the UPS site, and couldn't get the site to take the info (not surprised).

Any tips, tricks, suggestions?

At this point, I'm more concerned with getting the parts to him in a timely manor, than financial gain on my end.

Thanks!
I'd check with DHL when it comes to international shipping, I have found them to be the most reasonable.

Rate is based on box size and weight.
Try multiple boxes / weights to get a better rate

Find a local DHL office. They'll help you with the right labeling
and shipping.

The cheapest will be USPS. Fedex and UPS will get it there quick, but it costs. You didn't state the value. Not all USPS services have insurance, some have it included (to a point). The receiver will want to check on the package(s) when it/they hit Germany. Things can get hung up in Customs. Customs will be paid in Germany according to the value put on it.

I bought an ECU out of Canada. He wanted $225 Canadian, I gave him $199 USD total, which was worth more than his asking with the Exchange Rate at that time, but kept me under the $200 Customs limit for Electronics Import Tax into the US.

I shipped a snowmobile engine to sweden via DHL in January.
$800, the package got lost in ohio.
They finally found it.
It was supposed to get to Sweden in a week.
It has still not been delivered.
Total shitshow.

What I'm trying to ship are a set of (stock) '73-up upper control arms (aside from the cross shaft w/bushings, the arms are bare)

Not trying to force parts on the guy, he actually only needs one. My thinking is that if we're going thru all this to ship it, why not ship both sides of a known good set, rather than waiting 'til later?

I could ship each individually, I was initially thinking one box might be cheaper. The parts aren't packed up yet, just did a quick measure of (roughly) what size box would be needed. In my regular shipments, I would go a little big on the box to allow for extra packing and protection. I might be able to knock the size down some on this shipment, but not much.

For DHL, I'd have to go to one of those places that rents out mailboxes and deals with all carriers. Markup?

THANK YOU for all the help!

Years ago I shipped a Radar(!) to a guy in Norway. Had to go by boat freight because of the size. This was before tracking numbers, but I sent him a photo of the receipt showing it had been shipped. After about a month I get an email, still no Radar. I respond that I can’t do anything about it. A week later, I get “where the **** is my Radar?” I send back that I can’t do anything, be patient. A week after that I get an email saying that I’m a crook and bad person, that I steal, blah blah blah... in not such nice language. I again say just be patient, it’ll be there.
Literally the next day I get an email that it arrived in good shape, that I did a great job of packing it, that it was a pleasure to deal with me and if I’m ever in Norway (!) to stop by for a drink.
No “hey, I’m sorry for calling you all those names”.
Anyway, where I’m going with this is this: make sure your guy understands that it may take time. Also, do NOT wrap the parts in plastic or they will rust.

It might be cheaper to freight by USPS etc to a freight forwarding company on the East Coast who will handle it from there. I had a recent quote for $1,800 (!) to ship a gearbox and all associated parts from the US to Australia. By getting them to ship to LA only and then me taking responsibility from there I can save about $800. It's more complicated though, more hassle, and probably more chance of things getting lost.

I have used this as a way to reduce the related costs. Worked very well. Started out at a FedEx drop off and then it was taking to the East Coast. Then put on to a courier flight to Europe and then to the buyer. Took about a week to ten days. Give it a try...cr8crshr/Bill :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:

I only use Fedex to get parts from the US to Europe, and i order almost every week parts.

If you use USPS, it can be this year or the next, you will never know.

I paid 280 euro for a convertor to be shipped to PTC for rework, and thats not a light package.

Auto Transport Service
Back