• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Introduction and RR/Satellite/GTX price questions

The_Cat

Local time
2:34 AM
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
Thanks for letting me join the forums! I've been poking around different forums trying to gather as much information about Mopar B-bodies as possible. Here's my brief background info: Been mainly a Chevy man since I was 17 when I bought a project 69 Camaro. Worked on it for about 7 years before I let it go because I simply didn't have the money to make it happen and I had other priorities that needed to be met. Regretted it pretty heavily, but at the time it was the right choice. Fast forward 14 years and I'm ready to finally get back into the ring. My taste have changed since then and have gravitated towards Mopar.

So to the meat of the subject: I'm looking for a basic 1970's Roadrunner/Satellite/GTX, but prices seem everywhere. I've set aside 25-30k to make it happen. I'm not really wanting to start at step 1 of a full restoration, but I also feeling like reaching another 15k up to get something that fully restored is a waste because I'm wanting to resto-mod the car. So I guess the big question is what should I realistically expect to get around the 25-30k range? Am I under-reaching? Over-reaching? I understand that this is somewhat subjective, but so far I've just not had much luck on anything that either is waaaaaay too much work or 15k more than what I originally priced out. It also doesn't help that I live in Kansas, so finding anything that I don't have to drive 6 hours to seems tough and I'm still gun shy on buying anything online that I haven't personally seen. Anyways, thanks for your advice and time!

Welcome from North Florida...
If your going resto-mod look at getting a 1970's Satellite as that's going to be the cheapest in today's market.

Welcome aboard to Mopar Country from NJ and best of luck with your vision! :)

I'm looking for a basic 1970's Roadrunner/Satellite/GTX

Are you looking for exactly a 1970 model, or 1971-1974 Body Style, or 1968-1970 Body style?

What about Dodge Models like Chargers and Coronets?

Are you looking for exactly a 1970 model, or 1971-1974 Body Style, or 1968-1970 Body style?

What about Dodge Models like Chargers and Coronets?

I'm pretty committed to the 1970 RR/Satellite/GTX body style. Of course as time goes on I could see myself opening more up to 68-69 models. Not that I have anything against Chargers or Coronets, but they've never looked quite as good to me as the Belvedere line. Of course time might change that opinion!

The ‘70 Belvedere is often used to make a Superbird clone. Therefore probably more expensive than a ‘68 or ‘69. The production was lower as well. But... keep looking, one might pop up!

Welcome!
In my humble opinion your budget will buy a 68 or 69 runner or GTX in better condition as compared to a 70. The 70 tends to bring more money.
Good luck!

Welcome from Iowa,
Your price range seems pretty fair for what your looking for.
Finding one that fits will take some time.
Just dont get in a hurry and yes do not buy sight unseen.

What do you guys think a 70 satellite is worth vs a Gtx or roadrunner

I would by the nicest body/ best painted car you can afford. Most of the rest of what you want to do with it is bolt on. This way you can keep driving it while start making changes as you can afford them. The paint and body work is usually the most Expensive part of the car

Know that the more money you start with
The less you will spend towards completion
buy the best car you can
paint and body work are expensive

What about the sport satellite ?
Sport Satellite (RP) is inherently more valuable than a Satellite, a basic answer to your basic question. I'd be more concerned with the condition of the vehicle in consideration, than what "model: it is. But, you're finding out, this isn't easy "Chevyland" where cars a dime a dozen.

Auto Transport Service
Back