• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Inverter Expert Question

Mike Beaudoin

Local time
6:41 PM
Reaction score
I have been researching the inverters for the dash lighting on my 66 charger and I have what is likely a stupid question.
Why can you not just buy a 12 volt DC to 240 volt AC inverter? There are hundreds of these for sale at reasonable prices and the only hurdle I see is the at 240 Hertz most are 50 - 60 Hertz. Can someone tell me what I am missing or is it the hertz. The inverter has been removed from both of my cars and I need new units.

I have been researching the inverters for the dash lighting on my 66 charger and I have what is likely a stupid question.
Why can you not just buy a 12 volt DC to 240 volt AC inverter? There are hundreds of these for sale at reasonable prices and the only hurdle I see is the at 240 Hertz most are 50 - 60 Hertz. Can someone tell me what I am missing or is it the hertz. The inverter has been removed from both of my cars and I need new units.
Why would you need 240v for anything in an automobile?

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys, but it does not answer the question. I can build one from the schematic however with the new tech an inverter should be better than in the 1960's.

Auto Transport Service
Back