• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Iron heads

moparsquid

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:11 AM
Reaction score
trying to build a old school motor for fun have a 426 and will be running a hllborn injection unit what heads would work well (with some work) with this combo , im thinking 516 with bigger valves I already have a set i'm running on a 383 (343 hp) build but im looking for compression ,flow etc maybe 452,s your thoughts thanks

Sounds good I would go with the 452s or 906s set up for unleaded.. I know you hear aluminum but I’m old school and like to keep mopar parts on my mopar. I know flow would be an issue with the 516 they say. I have never measured any of them.You can shave the head and run a thinner gasket but ultimately your looking at pistons... My 70 charger rt is going for the pure stock class and I consider that the real challenge... they did it years ago so let’s do it again! Best of luck it’s your build!

Depends on how much money you want to spend and if you can do your own head work. The 516's can do ok in the flow department but they'll need some help to get them up a bit better. The 452's already have hardened exhaust seats....if they are in decent shape to start with. They flow better than the 516's do out of the box so to speak......

thanks I found a build in a old mopar performance book for a 62 383 343 hp (nhra factor ) that I copied ,clay smith cam 516 heads with bigger valve (minor port work) 2 x4 intake with carter carbs motor still in the machine shop but looking to run it soon hope fully the hilborn is not for max wedge ports

Auto Transport Service
Back